Skip to main content
Question

Sonos speakers start playing by itself

Hi, 

for a couple of days now, my Sonos speakers all of a sudden starts playing by itself. I see that others from time to time is reporting this too and asked for a diagnostic report. My number here is **************.

It has been the same Chinese music being played both times. I don’t get this!

Happy for some help!

Moderator Note: Recorded and removed Diagnostic number, considered private information. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

We’ve had the same problem - it’s been for more than a few days - more like a couple of weeks… sometime REALLY loud. It’s a whole Chinese set of soundtracks… but the Sonos app does show the speakers are playing anything and nothing on my music provider… what can we do to stop this???

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Change your account password. Worth a try.

Me too. For the last 3 nights around 3am, Sonos has started to play loud Chinese music throughout our house. First 2 nights it looked like it was coming from my nanny’s Spotify account (she then changed her Spotify password). Today it still happened again, now from a guest Spotify account. I just changed my Sonos password, fingers crossed... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’d be very surprised if it isn’t resolved by changing the account password. Given my Microsoft account shows the attempted hacks happening around 50 times per day from every corner of the globe, Sonos accounts are likely open to the same level of interference, whether for fun or for attempts to get access further into your network than simply the speakers. 

As long as the new password is ridiculously difficult to guess, I’d wager this will cure the playback of any unwanted Chinese playlist.

Same here. What the heck? Changed my Spotify password and my Sonos password 

Margs22, mine actually occurred for one more night after I changed these passwords. I'm not sure how… it seemed like maybe my nanny’s Spotify account was re-hacked with her new password. I had her “remove access” to our Sonos system within the Spotify app, and we have slept soundly now for several days. 

Hi there - we’re having the same issue. Daily, between 5 and 6am EDT, some Chinese music starts playing loudly on all of our speakers. Which passwords did you guys change? The Sonos or Spotify one? So frustrating… logged out of Spotify on my iPhone but that clearly didn’t work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why not try to change both.

If someone else indeed has access to your Spotify account why would logging out of this account on your phone help?

It all coincided with the app update. I’ve changed both. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It all coincided with the app update. I’ve changed both. 

My money is on the web app, which arrived last month with the new mobile app. If a ne’er do well wanted to hack Sonos accounts, attacking via the mobile app would be klunky and slow. Attacking via the web app would need a simple script and patience. Choose a strong password and go here …

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/myaccount/user/profile

… click on “Reset password”