Answered

Sonos product can't connect to a 2.4 GHz network

Pics related.

I kept having trouble connecting to my One SL, and after talking to Sonos technical support and my internet provider, it turned out that the problem was (at the time) related to the internet frequencies. My phone insisted on using 5.0 GHz, and the One SL only does 2.4.

My internet provider then sent me the equipment needed to split up my internet in two separate networks; one 5.0 and one 2.4 ghz. I thought it would work.

I was wrong.

Now my One SL just… won't connect to the 2.4ghz network at all? I've restarted and rebooted the router, the One SL, the app, the new signal boosters - everything. More than once. And it just. won't. work. My phone and PC connects to it fine, though.

Of course, Sonos support isn't available over the weekend, so I figured that I would ask you guys. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

icon

Best answer by L.L.Rye 25 March 2024, 16:12

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What actual router are we actually talking about here?

(Use use of “signal boosters” sounds a little disturbing, is this a real mesh system or a janky heath-robinson arrangement?).

What happens if you hard-wire the One to the router?

Userlevel 7

My phone insisted on using 5.0 GHz, and the One SL only does 2.4.

The One SL does not only do 2.4GHz

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

I mean, that's what the Sonos tech support person told me? I don't know if it's true or not. But I still can't connect to the 2.4ghz network, which it should *definitely* be able to do. I think. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7

I mean, that's what the Sonos tech support person told me? I don't know if it's true or not. But I still can't connect to the 2.4ghz network, which it should *definitely* be able to do. I think. Any ideas?

Have you checked the WiFi mode and security standard set for the 2.4GHz band is supported in the previous link?

Is this your only Sonos product and which Sonos app are you using?

Userlevel 7

It's my only Sonos product, yeah, and I'm using the one called Sonos from Google Play. I tried to see if there was a newer one, but if so, I can't find it. Sonos S2 redirects to that app. Tech support checked out diagnostics from my phone, and didn't note anything about it, so I assumed I was using the right one. Am I missing something?

Oh, and I tried putting in an ethernet cable, but the app just insists I unplug it, and will not let me continue until I do.

What actual router are we actually talking about here?

(Use use of “signal boosters” sounds a little disturbing, is this a real mesh system or a janky heath-robinson arrangement?).

What happens if you hard-wire the One to the router?

I'm sorry, don't know why I missed your reply;

They're Nokia Beacon 2’s. I've tried to hard-wire it, but the app refuses to even try to connect to it, saying I need to unplug the ethernet cable before continuing.

Here's a screenshot - and please note that there were no option along the way to just, you know, have it be connected to the internet. The app just can't connect to it, and when I try to troubleshoot, this is the end point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

At the top of the screenshot in very faint text it says “Sonos and your mobile device must be on the same network”. So whatever this Beacon thing is, it is creating multiple networks, which is not going to work with Sonos. Everything needs to be on the same subnet, and every device needs to be able to communicate with every other device.

Regarding Ethernet, based only on this screenshot, you have hard-wired it into a different network that the one your phone is connected to.

At the top of the screenshot in very faint text it says “Sonos and your mobile device must be on the same network”. So whatever this Beacon thing is, it is creating multiple networks, which is not going to work with Sonos. Everything needs to be on the same subnet, and every device needs to be able to communicate with every other device.

Regarding Ethernet, based only on this screenshot, you have hard-wired it into a different network that the one your phone is connected to.

The Beacons do indeed create multiple networks; a 2.4 GHz and a 5.0 GHz. My phone is connected to the 2.4 GHz network, and in my original post, I added.screenshots of how it wouldn't connect to the 2.4 GHz network; the network it detected my phone was on. I might be misunderstanding you, though, so please correct me if I'm doing something wrong.

As for the wired connection, I didn't wire it from my router, but from the Beacon, specifically to avoid this problem. But it still might be happening, I guess? Like, if it tries to get on the 5.0 GHz network, but only connects with a 2.4 connection? In which case I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to fix it.

As for the faint text at the top of the screen in the first screenshots, you're right - the phone and the One SL were indeed not on the same network. Because I'd had to set up these new two networks, with new names and passwords, it wasn't on the internet at all. The screenshot is of what happened when I tried to connect it. Sorry if that wasn't clear

I FINALLY SOLVED THE ISSUE!!!

I use a VPN for security and privacy issues (and highly recommend everyone do the same), and the Sonos app needed a special permission in the VPN app. That’s all that was needed.

I’ve been fighting this product for over a week, trying to get it to work, and it was that easy. If anyone encounters the same issue as me, and you’re still on here giving advice, I thought I’d let you know. I learned something new today, and I wanted to share it.

Thanks for the attempts to help me, and have a great day :)

That’s probably why the network requirements page says 

Unsupported network setups and devices

….

• VPNs blocking access to local network resources

That’s probably why the network requirements page says 

Unsupported network setups and devices

….

• VPNs blocking access to local network resources

I'm sorry to be a bit rude here, but that's really not a big help.

I really wish the two separate hour-long sessions with the Sonos technical support could have helped me find a detailed list of known issues to go through.

Or if the app could point me in the right direction, where to find answers to why it's not working, rather than ‘It didn't work, try again.’

If the app simply doesn't work, and the only solution it suggests is to call customer support, and the customer support are dead certain they know what the problem is, except it doesn't work either - I'm going to struggle.

And hey, if questions like this got those kinds of answers - here are a detailed list of network requirements, look through them and see if you can spot a potential issue, that would be amazing too.

I tried looking, and yeah, I have ADHD and I sometimes miss things. But I can't help but feel that if your best contribution to this question is a snide remark after the fact, I really think you can do better. I'm sorry if this sucks to hear, but it kind of upset me. I hope you can understand.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Sonos apps do not do a great job of detecting common issues that block device discovery, and this causes customer frustration and unnecessary Support calls, viz:

• VPN usage - easily detectable on iOS
  • Non-Private Wifi networks (on Windows) - easily detectable, my app detects this and gives a specific error

Sorry @L.L.Rye I would have suggested VPN earlier, but your original post had the actual error in such faint text it wasn’t obvious that this could be the VPN problem.