Sonos Play 5 low, tinny, no bass volume and quite noisy (PART II)

• 20 October 2022
  • 2 replies

The topic was closed and I’m opening it again, by starting a new thread.

As mentioned in Part I of this line, I replaced a bunch of capacitors, which were bulging.

Notably C27881 now has 25V at its pins, but

C27840 only has 11.60V… Is this normal, or should it also be 25V?

I had given this project a break for a while, and while before, I only had low volume, now the light doesn’t come on anymore and neither WiFi nor Ethernet connects… almost seems like back to square one. Except that I seem to have proper voltages everywhere ( except maybe C27840).

2 replies

wow, like who takes apart their Sonos?  what?  if you're such an audiophile why would you get a Sonos?  Sonos is amazing.  Accessible mass luxury and fine tuned product with very little inner workings done by consumer -- Ala apple -- what on earth is this?  who would fix a problem your way?  

ive never had a sound issue with my Sonos...they only get better with time.  ur insane

wow, like who takes apart their Sonos?  what?  if you're such an audiophile why would you get a Sonos?  Sonos is amazing.  Accessible mass luxury and fine tuned product with very little inner workings done by consumer -- Ala apple -- what on earth is this?  who would fix a problem your way?  

ive never had a sound issue with my Sonos...they only get better with time.  ur insane

I’m not an audiophile, just liked the simplicity of Sonos when I bought it a decade ago. Remember their touch screen control module?   that long ago!

I spent $500 on the Play 5 at the time, and I hate throwing away stuff that is mostly intact. You must be from the US, where repairing stuff went out of fashion 30 years ago…

And YES, plenty of people do take apart their gear, change a fuse or a resistor and live happily ever after. If there were more of us, our ground water wouldn’t be as polluted by discarded electronics as it is.

@SONOS: I am not expanding my Sonos infrastructure, because you now require 2 sets of apps, which can’t communicate with each other. And I’m not about to throw away several thousands of $$s worth of perfectly functional audio equipment and replace it with the same (until you ask me to throw everthing away for Gen 3)… I’m sure you had financially motivated logic behind this decision and you didn’t involve engineering in the solution. They would have found a way...