Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi

Userlevel 1
I forgot to add the diagnostic information, its #1488866377
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 25 July 2019, 19:42

View original

108 replies

I've had issues with my Sonos for 5 years. I've called maybe twice about it because resetting it works. But wow I just saw this. I called to complain, but I was just given some of the worst support. I was on the phone for an hour just to be told nothing is wrong. I was told to hard wire my Sonos to see if that fixes it. 

Why would I pay the extra mark up on a Sonos just to hardwire it? I won't do that. The issue is with Wi-Fi. 

The first 2 calls I had 3 or 4 years ago I was told to reset my Sonos and it will fix it. And it did. But it kept persisting. 

I realized it was a problem when I bought an arc and I had no issues for over 6 months and my Sonos 5 disconnects every 2-4 weeks. 

Do better Sonos. Don't blame my network, it's probably set up better than your corporate network. 

Clearly the diagnostic report in your case showed the speaker hardware/software to be fine, unlike a few of the other posts in this thread …and in some cases here too, it was a local WiFi network issues.

It seems you are somewhat in denial that your network isn’t at fault, but you haven’t stated how you know that, other than your soundbar is okay, but presumably that’s not only set in a different location to your Play:5 - it might also be the case your Play:5 is using the 5Ghz WiFi band, whereas your Arc will definitely be using the 2.4Ghz band.

Perhaps try reducing the wireless channel-width to 20Mhz on the 2.4Ghz band and ensure the speaker uses that and set it to the least used (fixed) ‘non-overlapping’ channel, or even try ALL running on the (built-in) SonosNet signal instead and remove your WiFi credentials from the system completely, setting the internal SonosNet channel, so that it becomes the least-used channel in your locality, but set it at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.

If not done already, I would also add all your Sonos product IP addresses to your routers DHCP reservation table for good measure too.

It’s important to review the network settings, as often things can change in the environment, including neighbouring signals and software/firmware updates of routers etc; so I would review the network every 3 months, or so, and perhaps make any necessary changes to keep the potential for interference to a minimum.

Ill look at it again, but my play 5 is in the same room as my arc. They're both on 2.4.  What is aggravating is that when it disconnects it does not find any SSID. and I must run a factory reset. 

I’ll look at it again, but my play 5 is in the same room as my arc. They're both on 2.4.  What is aggravating is that when it disconnects it does not find any SSID. and I must run a factory reset. 

Can you perhaps describe your local setup - make/model of router (or mesh system) - Any switches? (managed or unmanaged) if managed - can you outline the STP settings also if you use any other access points and what WiFi channels/channel-widths are in use.

Have you ever tried running all on SonosNet, so that you do not need the Play:5 speaker to find (or need) your WiFi SSID?

Badge +1

My play 5 gen 2 won’t connect to wifi. It works on Ethernet.  I have a play 5 gen 1 that works. I have a sonos amp, a stereo pair play 1 and a boost that all work. Bad wifi card? Help please

My play 5 gen 2 won’t connect to wifi. It works on Ethernet.  I have a play 5 gen 1 that works. I have a sonos amp, a stereo pair play 1 and a boost that all work. Bad wifi card? Help please

A possibility perhaps? … does the Play: 5 work okay when wired to the router/LAN?

Whilst it’s wired, maybe check if its WiFi adapter is ‘enabled’ in the device ‘room’ settings (in ‘Settings/System’) and maybe toggle it ‘off’ and then ‘on’ again.

Ensure the correct WiFi SSID is listed in "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks" area of the Sonos App?

You could also try re-adding the WiFi network credentials to the speaker - using the ‘Update Networks’ feature.

If no joy getting it to run on your WiFi, then whilst it is wired and hopefully showing in the Sonos App submit a system diagnostic and note or post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the device.

Badge +1
  • does the Play: 5 work okay when wired to the router/LAN? YES
  • Whilst it’s wired, maybe check if its WiFi adapter is ‘enabled’ in the device ‘room’ settings (in ‘Settings/System’) and maybe toggle it ‘off’ and then ‘on’ again. I can’t find that option
  • Ensure the correct WiFi SSID is listed in "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks" area of the Sonos App? I did this…. can’t connect
  • You could also try re-adding the WiFi network credentials to the speaker - using the ‘Update Networks’ feature. I don’t understand this
  • If no joy getting it to run on your WiFi, then whilst it is wired and hopefully showing in the Sonos App submit a system diagnostic and note or post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the device. 1704705860

It is connected via Ethernet right now and sounds great but I still can’t connect to WiFi. It sees the unit during setup but doesn’t complete the process. Can you be more specific on how to turn on the WiFi adapter. I can’t find that option.   

Badge +1
  • does the Play: 5 work okay when wired to the router/LAN? YES
  • Whilst it’s wired, maybe check if its WiFi adapter is ‘enabled’ in the device ‘room’ settings (in ‘Settings/System’) and maybe toggle it ‘off’ and then ‘on’ again. I can’t find that option
  • Ensure the correct WiFi SSID is listed in "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks" area of the Sonos App? I did this…. can’t connect
  • You could also try re-adding the WiFi network credentials to the speaker - using the ‘Update Networks’ feature. I don’t understand this
  • If no joy getting it to run on your WiFi, then whilst it is wired and hopefully showing in the Sonos App submit a system diagnostic and note or post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the device. 1704705860

It is connected via Ethernet right now and sounds great but I still can’t connect to WiFi. It sees the unit during setup but doesn’t complete the process. Can you be more specific on how to turn on the WiFi adapter. I can’t find that option.   

Any more suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @foldbak 

Your speaker has a fault - please call our technical support team. You’ll be happy with the result.

Badge +1

Hi @foldbak 

Your speaker has a fault - please call our technical support team. You’ll be happy with the result.

Thank you Cory. That was helpful. A replacement is on the way.

Badge

Hi Corry

I seem to have the same problem with my Play 5 as foldback above.

I have various Sonos devices in the house, they all work fine, but the Play 5 lost WiFi a while back. It does works perfectly fine over ethernet. 

Diagnostic ID 2145328600 

What options do I have left atm?

Hi Corry

I seem to have the same problem with my Play 5 as foldback above.

I have various Sonos devices in the house, they all work fine, but the Play 5 lost WiFi a while back. It does works perfectly fine over ethernet. 

Diagnostic ID 2145328600 

What options do I have left atm?

I would perhaps speak with Sonos Support Staff and give them your diagnostic reference etc. Here is their contact link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hendrika 

I would perhaps speak with Sonos Support Staff and give them your diagnostic reference etc. Here is their contact link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Highly recommended!

Badge

Hi Corry, thanks. Yeah I just contacted Sonos Support Netherlands. They were super-friendly. It was a faulty wifi chip and they sent me a shipping label for a return+replacement procedure. 

The info in this thread is very helpful! 

Thanks again. 

Dear Sonos CC,

I have been struggling with the same issue for a year, I can only use my Play5 via ethernet cable, and this came up with no reason. I enjoyed this product before this happen, and I didn’t make any change, just stopped working suddenly. I have many other sonos products on the same home network and there is no any issue with them. Only Play5 has this malfunction. 

I’ve run ths diagnostic: 420496493

I really appreciate your help

Dear Sonos CC,

I have been struggling with the same issue for a year, I can only use my Play5 via ethernet cable, and this came up with no reason. I enjoyed this product before this happen, and I didn’t make any change, just stopped working suddenly. I have many other sonos products on the same home network and there is no any issue with them. Only Play5 has this malfunction. 

I’ve run ths diagnostic: 420496493

I really appreciate your help

As it’s been happening for a year, is it an intermittent issue? Have you maybe switched off its adapter via the App as you have wired the product? Have you spoken to Sonos Support Staff about the matter? 

What troubleshooting have you tried so far…reboot etc?

Actually, it’s a constant issue, but used the other products instead, as the usual troubleshooting didn’t solve the problem. But it started to annoy me that I can’t use it at all as there is no ethernet plug available at that place. 

I tried these things: 

• reboot, reconnect, system updates, manage networks, router restart, ethernet cable connection which works properly

So i guess everything what is available, except speaking with Sonos Support, but tomorrow will call them. 

Actually, it’s a constant issue, but used the other products instead, as the usual troubleshooting didn’t solve the problem. But it started to annoy me that I can’t use it at all as there is no ethernet plug available at that place. 

I tried these things: 

• reboot, reconnect, system updates, manage networks, router restart, ethernet cable connection which works properly

So i guess everything what is available, except speaking with Sonos Support, but tomorrow will call them. 

It sounds like a WiFi card issue,  have you ever tried toggling its WiFi adapter ‘off’ and ‘on’ again. See this support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/disable-or-enable-wi-fi-on-your-sonos-products

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PFCS_HUN 

The diagnostic does not indicate that there’s an issue with the Play:5’s WiFi card - in fact, at the time of the submission of the diagnostic it was providing all the non-portable products with a network connection. I see no reason for it not to connect to your WiFi, though I can see that it is currently offline, meaning that you’ve presumably removed the cable and all devices apart from the Play:5 have switched back to WiFi. It does seem to be unreasonably close to the Arc, but I assume that was temporary and so you could connect it to ethernet.

This does suggest that the Arc is close to the ethernet connection - if you wire the Arc to ethernet, does the Play:5 then connect? It’s probably worth trying.

If that isn’t workable, however, or if it just doesn’t work, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for some real-time troubleshooting.

I hope this helps.

HI Corry P, 

Yes, you are absolutely right, it was temporary because of the ethernet cable connection. 

Finally, (don’t know the exact reason) after wired the Arc to ethernet, reconnected the Play:5 from (System/Play:5/Products -Play:5/) - where also the wifi can be enabled and disabled -  and it works properly!

Thanks for your help both of you Corry P, Ken Griffiths!

Csaba

I have the same issue. My Play 5 work with Ethernet cable, but can not via wifi. 

I have the same issue. My Play 5 work with Ethernet cable, but can not via wifi. 

I would follow the advice stated in the thread and that is to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App whilst the speaker is wired to the LAN and either note/post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter.

Badge

Hi support,

I have the same issue. My Play 5 work with Ethernet cable, but can not via wifi. 

I sent the diagnostic :  547251154

Could you please help me to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Frederic

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Frederic H. 

Please contact your local technical support team - your Play:5 has a fault, but you will be happy with the solution!

Badge

Hi @Corry P ,

Thank you for your quick response. I contacted the local support and, after running another round of tests, I received the confirmation that the WiFi module on my Play 5 Gen2 was faulty.

Support offered me two options: either to continue using my Play 5 with an Ethernet connection (which apparently wasn't possible as there's no Ethernet connection in the room I was going to use it in), or to send it back to Sonos in exchange for a 30% discount voucher on my next purchase.

Honestly, I have to admit that the second option is pretty frustrating and hard for me to accept. First of all, when you invest nearly $500 in a speaker, you expect it to work perfectly for more than 7 years. Moreover, this seems to be a recurring problem with the Play 5 Gen 2 and one that Sonos is well aware of. Finally, as my SONOS setup includes 12 speakers (2 x One SL, 1 x AMP, 1 x Playbar, 1 x Sub, 4 x Play 1, 1 x Play 5, 2 Roam SL), I was expecting a bigger discount for the replacement unit.

Fortunately, I found a solution. I installed a WLAN repeater in the room where I wanted to use my Play 5, connected the speaker to the Ethernet port and successfully brought it back into my Sonos ecosystem. I'm just wondering why this cheap solution (less than 50$) wasn't suggested by tech support, especially as they knew the room didn't have an Ethernet connection.

It seems that my situation has gone beyond the commercial and technical limits of SONOS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just sharing my customer experience.

Yours sincerely

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Frederic H. 

Apologies - the agent you spoke to made a mistake, which he himself noticed after ending the call with you. You are entitled to a free replacement - this is the solution that I was saying you’d be happy with. It may take a few days to process, but please keep an eye out for an email from us.

The WLAN repeater was not suggested because those devices are not supported by Sonos - they often cause connectivity problems with Sonos systems, but I’m glad you’ve found a way to enjoy your speaker in the meantime. Hopefully, you’ll be able to get a refund on that should you need to.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @Corry P 

Thank you for the clarification. This is effectively a good news that makes me happy. I will keep an eye on emails received from Sonos.

Best regards

Frederic