Answered

Sonos play 5 does not work at all

• 27 February 2021
  • 17 replies

Badge

Just a heads up, I am already annoyed/extremely frustrated with this product so please don’t hit me with any canned responses or weak-sauce answers!

I purchased the Sonos play 5 (I think it’s a gen 2) a while back and attempted to connect it to my existing sonos beam and other sonos speaker (can’t remember if it’s a play 1 or play 3) and my sonos bridge, I am told that my Play 5 is incompatible with my existing products:

• I have tired both the G1 and the G2 app.
  • I tired ethernet direct connection.
  • I tried a line in connnection directly to my PC
  • I have even tried a line in connection from one speaker (which still functions) to my Play 5

Nothing is working. I would honestly like to know how can you sell a product for $500 when it is functionally broken straight out of the box??

Please help me with either direct answers and help, your phone lines are closed on the weekend!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 28 February 2021, 02:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7

Can you send a photo of your Play:5 so we can confirm which exact model it is?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Interesting profile, @Smack Daddy   It would help us to know exactly what kit you have in order to try to help you, if you really want help?

Badge

Can you send a photo of your Play:5 so we can confirm which exact model it is?

Userlevel 7

This is a Sonos Five which is only compatible with the S2 app.

What other Sonos products do you have?

Badge

I tried both versions of the app got this error message:

Also, I have the sonos bar, and a play 1 and a play 3 all gen 1.

Userlevel 7

Do you also have a Play:5 Gen 1? I see it listed in your profile.

Badge

no I just wasn’t sure which one I owned

Badge

On the S1 app.. download an update.. the update fails. Go on the S2 app.. download the update.. same thing, and it tells me to use the S1 app. I am running in circles dealing with these terrible apps!

I would sell this speaker on Craigslist just to be rid of this headache, but I can’t in good conscience pawn this garbage product off on someone else!

Why can’t I use this speaker offline, or just plug a line in and play music like any normal device? 

I should’ve bought BOSE!

Badge

This Play 5 has thrown my other devices off of their original group! Not only is this product inoperable out of the box, but IT’S SO TERRIBLE IT HAS MESSED UP MY OTHER DEVICES!

Userlevel 7

Hi @Smack Daddy 

The picture you posted is a Sonos Play 5. The Sonos emblem on the Five is monochromatic to match the color of the speaker grille. There is no contrast (very slight at best) between the color of the Sonos logo and that of the speaker grille. Check out the pictures of the Five on the Sonos website.

The Play 5 is compatible with either S1 or S2.

The Bridge is an obsolete component and will cause problems.  You should remove it and either wire a speaker or purchase a Sonos Boost. The Bridge is most likely the root cause of your issues although there may be other things to correct.

Also, you should post a picture of your other speakers if you don’t know the difference between a Play 1 and a Play 3. They are very different in appearance.

Curious: Unless you purchased the speakers used in non standard packaging how could you not know if it’s a Play 5 vs a Five or a Play 1 vs a Play 3. The branding is on the respective boxes.

Userlevel 7

The picture he posted is a Sonos Five not a Play:5. If it were a Play:5, the logo would be in white letters on a black rectangle as pictured below. So it doesn’t make any sense that his app is showing a “Play:5” as being incompatible unless he actually owns a Play:5 too.

@Smack Daddy needs to post a photo of every Sonos speaker he owns because he is sending conflicting information that prevents us from assisting him.

Badge

Hi @Smack Daddy 

The picture you posted is a Sonos Play 5. The Sonos emblem on the Five is monochromatic to match the color of the speaker grille. There is no contrast (very slight at best) between the color of the Sonos logo and that of the speaker grille. Check out the pictures of the Five on the Sonos website.

The Play 5 is compatible with either S1 or S2.

The Bridge is an obsolete component and will cause problems.  You should remove it and either wire a speaker or purchase a Sonos Boost. The Bridge is most likely the root cause of your issues although there may be other things to correct.

Also, you should post a picture of your other speakers if you don’t know the difference between a Play 1 and a Play 3. They are very different in appearance.

Curious: Unless you purchased the speakers used in non standard packaging how could you not know if it’s a Play 5 vs a Five or a Play 1 vs a Play 3. The branding is on the respective boxes.

I’m not really concerned about what model the other speakers are at the moment. The fact remains that both versions of the Sonos app are unable to sync with the Play 5 and now I can’t use my old speakers or the new one! I am not really interested in purchasing another Sonos product.

Badge

The picture he posted is a Sonos Five not a Play:5. If it were a Play:5, the logo would be in white letters on a black rectangle as pictured below. So it doesn’t make any sense that his app is showing a “Play:5” as being incompatible unless he actually owns a Play:5 too.

@Smack Daddy needs to post a photo of every Sonos speaker he owns because he is sending conflicting information that prevents us from assisting him.

If that is the case then I do not own a Play 5! Can anyone figure out why my other speakers have been thrown out of their existing group?

Badge

I apologize if I am being rude. I am just thoroughly unimpressed with this product considering the price.

Badge

is there anyway to take the Sonos product pictured above offline so that I can simply plug it into an outlet and plug an aux cord into the 3.5mm jack and listen to music?

Userlevel 7

Can you please post photos of your other Sonos speakers so we can confirm exactly what you have? This is very important information we need so we canhelp you.

Userlevel 7

is there anyway to take the Sonos product pictured above offline so that I can simply plug it into an outlet and plug an aux cord into the 3.5mm jack and listen to music?

I don’t believe this is possible but you could try it.