Sonos One SL speakers drop from the network after few minutes

• 17 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi guys,

I’ve had One SL speakers for a while and working perfectly all the time.

Few days back I bought a new router - TP-Link Archer Air R5 AX3000. I had to change the network - I kept the same name but the password is different. 

Since the installation the speakers keep dropping from the network - one moment they are visible in the Sonos App and they play anything from Spotify, next minute they stop and are no longer visible in the app. I am not able to add them back to the system anymore. When I get back in some time (does not matter how long), they are back in the app and they play just like before. And then everything repeats.

The speakers are visible and connected in the router app - I can see them there all the time even when they are no longer visible in the Sonos system.

So far I have tried:

• restarting router
  • restarting speakers
  • resetting speakers to the factory settings
  • adding speakers again to the system
  • wiring one speaker to the router and connecting the other one wirelessly
  • reinstalling Sonos app

Nothing works.

It drives me crazy - please help.

Would you have any solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I suggest that you refrain from SONOS Factory Reset. While you may accidentally fix something (temporarily) this wastes a lot of time and destroys diagnostic data that could have been useful.

I think that your easiest plan would be to wire one or more speakers to the router.

I’m not a TP-Link user. Maybe a user will stop by and give some helpful router settings.

When the speakers are visible, submit a diagnostic and note the confirmation number. Submit another when a speaker disappears. Obviously, you cannot submit if all speakers disappear. Keep a log of events.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Might be a DHCP issue with the new router. Setting static/reserved addresses for your Sonos followed by powering down all Sonos, rebooting the router and powering the Sonos back up will eliminate it as a possible problem. Since it is quick and painless to do it is a good first step.

@Brunoczech 

Check you user-manual for the router and enable ‘IGMP Snooping’ for multicast device discovery and see if that perhaps resolves your issue.

So far I have tried:

Well that rules out the WiFi then. Do both speakers stop playing, or just the wireless one?

BTW the only reference I could see in the manual to IGMP Snooping was for IPTV distribution from the ISP, so that doesn’t appear to be relevant.

So far I have tried:

Well that rules out the WiFi then. Do both speakers stop playing, or just the wireless one?

BTW the only reference I could see in the manual to IGMP Snooping was for IPTV distribution from the ISP, so that doesn’t appear to be relevant.

Forgive me @ratty, but would that not need IGMP Proxy to be enabled instead for upstream, rather than IGMP Snooping?… reason I ask is that on the Plume servers they have IGMP Snooping enabled for clients, as shown in this screenshot from their system?

Might it be worth perhaps trying IGMP Snooping anyway, to see if it assists discovery of the speakers by the controller App?

So far I have tried:

Forgive me @ratty, but would that not need IGMP Proxy to be enabled instead for upstream, rather than IGMP Snooping?… reason I ask is that on the Plume servers they have IGMP Snooping enabled for clients, as shown in this screenshot from their system?

Might it be worth perhaps trying IGMP Snooping anyway, to see if it assists discovery of the speakers by the controller App?

The only reference to IGMP at all appears to be in section 13.2 (‘Configure to Support IPTV Service’) of the manual

And, according to the OP, it’s not just a discovery issue. The music stops.

Ah okay👍, I thought it was just a device discovery issue - I missed the bit about them stopping playback altogether, my mistake.

Hi guys,

Just an update.

Couple of days back I spent two and a half hours chatting with very pleasant guy from Sonos Support.

Together we have tried every possible setting, every possible tweak, every tiny change etc… Nothing helped. The speakers started playing after every change to settings but then they dropped again.

At the end of the chat I was told that the last thing I can try is to talk to folks from TP-Link support. But that’s what I had already done before. And they told me that all the possible problems related to wi-fi will be due to cheap wi-fi modules in those speakers. So no help from this side either.

Anyway, as I did not want to spend another minute solving this problem, I just bought 10m ethernet cable with a flat profile, and I just connected the left speaker with the router via the cable.

No problems since then, of course.

But the issue remains so if any of you find a solution, I’ll be happy to hear it. ;)

Thank you everybody for your input and help!

Take care!

D.