Answered

Sonos One (Gen2) cutting out for a few seconds every hour or so.

• 6 February 2023
  • 4 replies

TL;DR: My Sonos One (Gen 2) speakers keep cutting out for 5-10 seconds every hour or so since I’ve moved my router. My Play:5, which I’m using for Line-in does not cut out, and keeps functioning all the time. Check Photos.

My system is a Play:5 (gen 1) and two Sonos One (Gen 2). I’m using the line-in on the Play:5 to use the One’s as PC/TV speakers. They sound great and used to work perfectly, but I’ve moved my router and now there are issues.

This is what I used to have. Blue lines are Wi-Fi/Sonosnet, Red lines are wired through TP-Link Powerline Adapters:

My internet situation changed so I had to move my router to a different corner of the living room/kitchen.

I tried this set-up first, but when I started experiencing the audio issues, I plugged the Play:5 in to the router through TP-Link Powerline adapters:

Currently, I’m using Sonosnet like this. I still get the cut outs. I’ve tried rebooting everything in the right order to fix IP conflicts, I’ve enabled compression, which almost fixed the problem for a night or so, then it went right back to having the same issue. My Wi-Fi is set to Channel 11, and my Sonosnet is set to Channel 1, so it shouldn’t be interference issues.

I wouldn’t mind too much, but the Sonos AI baked in to the speakers seems to analyze the most important part of TV shows and game cut-scenes, just so it can cut out right then and there, ruining any semblance of immersion.

icon

Best answer by buzz 6 February 2023, 21:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As a test, wire a ONE to the router and stop using the EoP adapter.

@PixelGeek52,

Is the Sonos Five ‘Audio Delay’ buffer set to its max 2s setting in the Five’s room settings? - If not, then maybe give that a try.

You could also try changing the line-In ‘source name’ by selecting ‘Airplay Device’ as that, once upon a time, had a larger audio buffer than the other devices in the list, but I’m not too sure if that still applies now that the line-in ‘Audio Delay’ feature has been introduced. NB: You can go onto rename it (‘Airplay Device’) to something else after selecting it from the list of devices.

Note too that Sonos (officially) do not support EOP (power-line) adapters as they ‘may’ cause issues - That is mentioned HERE in the Sonos System Requirements - try to wire a device direct to the router. Maybe even consider using  another speaker, or a Sonos Boost and eliminate the EOP power-line adapters altogether .. However, you could also just try running all speakers on your routers 2.4Ghz WiFi signal and simply forget SonosNet. (That’s always worth a try).

A few other things that maybe helpful to you too…

• If wiring any Sonos device to the LAN make sure it’s at least one metre away from any other WiFi or Bluetooth devices (that includes the router aswell).
  • If the router allows it, set the 2,4Ghz band channel-width to 20Mhz only. 
  • Ensure the routers 5Ghz band has a completely different SSID to the 2.4Ghz band and only add the 2.4Ghz band credentials to the Sonos App network settings, that’s only if you do decide to set SonosNet aside and explore running all on your routers WiFi signal.

Hope the above suggestions provide you with a few options to resolve your audio dropout issues.

Is the Sonos Five ‘Audio Delay’ buffer set to its max 2s setting in the Five’s room settings? - If not, then maybe give that a try.

I’m using these as PC speakers so I can’t raise the delay too much. I’ll try the second shortest delay and see if that fixes it tonight. Currently, I believe that I’m using the shortest delay, 75ms if I remember correctly.

As a test, wire a ONE to the router and stop using the EoP adapter.

I could try that too, actually. Run the cable behind the sink and use the One in the kitchen as the Sonosnet host. Great thinking!