Answered

Sonos One (1st gen) unable to connect to community Wi-Fi

• 18 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

So I’m posting this on behalf of a family member who is at an apartment complex and unable to get 2 1st gen Sonos Ones to connect to the “community Wi-Fi” they have. And by that, I mean it’s run by a company called Pavlov Media, and you have your login where you have to add your device‘s MAC addresses into their portal in order for the device to get working Wi-Fi.

He used the MAC address under the unit / on the box, but neither Sonos One is able to connect to the Wi-Fi network. I then wondered if this MAC address is the wired connection MAC address? How can we find the Wi-Fi MAC address of the Sonos One if we can’t get the Sonos One to connect to Wi-Fi without it? (i.e. we need to be able to add the Wi-Fi MAC address into the Pavlov Wi-Fi device portal)

I found a few other threads on Reddit of people who had trouble getting this Sonos speakers to connect to community Wi-Fi setups like this. No solution from what I can tell.

icon

Best answer by buzz 18 September 2023, 08:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I suggest adding a Travel Router.

Badge

I suggest adding a Travel Router.

Can they just add a TP Link access point wired into one of the wall jacks in the apartment? And then everyone comments to that AP instead of the community Wi-Fi?

The One’s wireless MAC is +1 with respect to its serial number (after removing the single-digit suffix obviously). Increment the last digit, remembering that it’s in hexadecimal.

This may not help of course. Sonos doesn’t support networks that require a sign-in, nor networks with client isolation.

Badge

The One’s wireless MAC is +1 with respect to its serial number (after removing the single-digit suffix obviously). Increment the last digit, remembering that it’s in hexadecimal.

This may not help of course. Sonos doesn’t support networks that require a sign-in, nor networks with client isolation.

Okay, so the last digit pair for the hardware MAC is 80. So we’d instead use 81?

Okay, so the last digit pair for the hardware MAC is 80. So we’d instead use 81?

Correct

Badge

Correct

Yeah we tried that yesterday. No dice.

Suspected as much. By all means try an AP, wired to the wall jack, but the ‘authorities’ may detect and prohibit such an arrangement. A travel router, as suggested by @buzz, is likely to be more successful. Moreover it will set up a private subnet that no-one else on the ‘community WiFi’ would be able to interfere with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you like max volume Bachman Turner at 3 AM, by all means set your system so everyone in your complex can access it on the public WiFi.  :-)

Seriously, spend the few bucks on a travel router and skip the grief.