Answered

Sonos not working

Sonos Technical say my Vodafone router is incompatible with my Sonos system. I had the same problem with Virgin Media router. Anyone else with a 1000 pounds of kit useless.

what can I do? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 May 2023, 12:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did they say why it wouldn’t work, I’m not aware of any reason why it shouldn’t?  Have you tried to disable the 5GHz frequency in the Router settings?

Thanks for responding. No they didn’t . Just the spec of the router that is required to work with Sonos. I’m not sure if I can access the router settings it’s the latest Vodafone router with booster that puts me 25m into the garden. I get grey screen syndrome on my iPad. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you can put your router into “bridge mode” you can use it just as a modem and connect a more flexible router to it to use for your local connection and Sonos.

I will look into that but I’m not happy having to potentially buy another router. A play 1 speaker has started working  but the other play1 and sound bar are dead. The Sonos apps, early and later cannot find my products. 

That points to a separate issue. What happens when you connect a single Sonos speaker to your router with an Ethernet cable, wait 5 minutes, then open the controller? Do you see ‘all’ speakers? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I will look into that but I’m not happy having to potentially buy another router. A play 1 speaker has started working  but the other play1 and sound bar are dead. The Sonos apps, early and later cannot find my products. 

You may also want to look at this vf forum thread, I’m not sure if this issue has been fixed but it does sound very similar to your problem: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Vodafone-won-t-work-with-Sonos/td-p/2637666

Thanks all for responding. The Sonos app tells me that Your connected to the Sonos system on Vodafone XXXXXX but then the problems start. Problem verifying Sonos App, Error 1001, Add feature unavailable, Unable to access microphone for code, Sonos not found, Contact Sonos,, who already who can’t help me.

I’m binning the lot and buying something that works. Such a good sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks all for responding. The Sonos app tells me that Your connected to the Sonos system on Vodafone XXXXXX but then the problems start. Problem verifying Sonos App, Error 1001, Add feature unavailable, Unable to access microphone for code, Sonos not found, Contact Sonos,, who already who can’t help me.

I’m binning the lot and buying something that works. Such a good sound.

If the cause of the Sonos connectivity problems is the VF router/modem, then why do you think another set of multi room speakers will not experience the same issue?

A much cheaper option would be to order a new router online, if it doesn't fix the issue then return it and get a refund.

Hi,

thanks for replying. I’ve already contacted Richer Sounds where I bought the Sonos system several years ago to ask for there advice, they must have experienced this problem as they have an installation service.. I like the range of the Vodafone router and booster  which gets to our sauna and beyond into the garden. If there is a £100 router to solve the problem then I will take it. Sonos should add doesn’t work with all routers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Chat with Sonos Support, send them a diagnostic first if possible.

If nothing else they could add your problem system to the list here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Didn’t the OP say in the first post of this thread that they had spoken to technical support?

I had Sonos technical check the play ones by plugging one into the router with a lead, they monitored it for several minutes and said my router was incompatible then sent a router spec suitable for Sonos equipment. I’d sooner have known this before signing up with Vodafone for 18 months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Didn’t the OP say in the first post of this thread that they had spoken to technical support?

Yes they did, but for some reason that router is still not listed on the naughty list, something that would be nice for other potential Sonos users to be able to see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@BazzaPara Does Vodafone allow you to use your own router?

I’m not sure if I can use my own router. Richer Sounds Hi Fi have sent some info through. I want to look at their recommendations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BazzaPara 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As far as I can make out from the case notes, you were not told that your Vodafone router was incompatible with Sonos - apologies for any misunderstanding. In addition, I can find no mention of incompatible Vodafone routers in our internal documentation.

You were, however, advised that the WiFi extender that you have installed is not supported. This is not due to the brand or model of the device, but due to it’s very nature - extenders often block the very type of network “packets” that Sonos devices use to communicate with each other and the app, and they also half the available bandwidth. If you need to expand the range of your WiFi, we recommend the use of a mesh WiFi system rather than the use of extenders.

I hope this helps.