Sonos Five Line in

• 29 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi

I just got a Sonos Five and although streaming works well, I have been having a difficult time with its line in. The sound is DISTORTED (static).

I have tried connecting the following:

• CD player using an RCA to 3.5 jack (two kinds already)
  • DVD player using an RCA to 3.5 jack (the same two cable)
  • CD player via headphone jack to 3.5 line in
  • Macbook (3.5 to 3.5)
  • Ipad (3.5 to 3.5)

I have been with Sonos’ customer chat at least five times doing so many things with them (reset the unit, my router, changed wifi channels etc).

COULD IT BE that the unit’s line in port is defective??!!

4 replies

Anything is possible. Have you submitted a diagnostic, and contacted Sonos support about it?

Anything is possible. Have you submitted a diagnostic, and contacted Sonos support about it?

Been with their chat support a few times. Are you referring to emailing them?

No, chatting with them would be fine, I’d think, although I’ll admit that in some similar situations, I’ve called other support lines multiple times, in order to speak with a rep that actually understands what I’m calling about, and isn’t just reading from a script. I’d have to imagine that Sonos folks have varying levels of knowledge, although the two times I have called in, the service has been excellent. 

It could be something as simple as some dirt in the line in, or a bad solder, or any of many more physical things that may not show up on a diagnostic. Unlikely, although not completely impossible, to be a software issue, although I’d think if that was a possibility, there would be hundreds of posts about it. 

But this community has no control, only guesses that can be given to you. We can’t force your system to work by our assumptions, nor can we force Sonos to swap out your unit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There is an adjustable “level” for the input. Have you tried changing that? 

Settings/System/roomname/Source Level