Answered

Sonos Era 300 Stereo Pair - side tweeters

• 11 February 2024
  • 8 replies

For owners of the Era 300s in a stereo pair configuration; Is it expected behavior that for each speaker the left and right tweeters are disabled/barely audible? I certainly heard more from the side channels in single-speaker configuration. Are these side tweeters turned off in a stereo-pair configuration by design?

This is the case with Apple Music, both stereo and Dolby Atmos tracks. The woofers, and top and front tweeters all fire nicely, but no side tweeters.

I hope someone can shed some light on this! Thank you

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 February 2024, 13:02

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7

How exactly are you streaming the music to the speakers?

How exactly are you streaming the music to the speakers?

Through Apple Music on the Sonos App

Userlevel 7

You should definitely be hearing audio from the side-firing drivers when playing Dolby Atmos music. Do you see the Dolby Atmos logo displayed on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app? Test the song “Impossible Tightrope” by Steven Wilson.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@baroquian

Last year someone had the same question…

In a stereo pair setup the speakers create a central sweet spot for optimal listening position. Best way to do that is using the mid tweeter of each speaker. 
Maybe for atmos music tracks it‘s different in some way, but then imo strongly depends on the tracks mixing. As I found out many atmos music tracks don’t get the best out of the technical options and imho even shouldn’t be labeled as atmos music. :-( 

You should definitely be hearing audio from the side-firing drivers when playing Dolby Atmos music. Do you see the Dolby Atmos logo displayed on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app? Test the song “Impossible Tightrope” by Steven Wilson.

Yes, The Dolby Atmos logo is displayed. I tested the song, the track is showing as in Atmos, but again - the side tweeters don’t fire, just the forward and top. The woofers, however, are firing on the sides.

@baroquian

Last year someone had the same question…

In a stereo pair setup the speakers create a central sweet spot for optimal listening position. Best way to do that is using the mid tweeter of each speaker. 

Thank you Schlumpf. I did see that thread. I understand the logic for disabling the inner tweeters (so as to avoid muddying the stereo effect), but I’m not sure why the outer tweeters would be disabled - surely that would throw the sound more into the room?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@baroquian 

Yes, for atmos music tracks I agree that the outer tweeters should be used to create an overall sound stage. But as said my experience is that many tracks are mixed without much „love“ for the detail and also it’s not clear exactly how Sonos is using the side woofers and/or tweeters for that. Maybe for most surrounding audio the side woofers will do the job. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @baroquian 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I understand the logic for disabling the inner tweeters (so as to avoid muddying the stereo effect), but I’m not sure why the outer tweeters would be disabled - surely that would throw the sound more into the room?

My first thought on hearing this was that perhaps your Left and Right speakers are the wrong way round?

If that is not the answer, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.