Answered

sonos devices dropping connection

• 27 January 2023
  • 23 replies

After recent update majority of my Sonos devices have been constantly dropping off the internet every day or two.

It's usually been 3 out of my 7 devices, however it's starting to get worse with the 4th now dropping off. I've gotten so frustrated I thought it may have been my router so I purchased a new $400 router setup. And still they are dropping.

It's usually my Play:1, Play:3 and Play One. Looking for answers as I am now holding off on my planned Sonos purchases because of this issue.

I've created a diagnostic: 1329675780

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 January 2023, 08:36

View original

23 replies

I should mention the ONLY way I've been able to add the speakers back into the network/system is by doing a factory reset.

I've checked the router control panel when they have dropped and it looks like they are not connected to the internet so it seems like they are crashing?

More likely fighting some other device for a duplicate IP address. Try unplugging all of your Sonos devices, and while they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router has had a couple of minutes to recover, plug back in your Sonos devices. 

Thanks Airgetlam for reply! I took a look over the system logs and it seems like it's coming from the devices trying to switch over to a different mesh AP. While other devices seem to be able to handle this switch, the Sonos devices seem incapable of handling it as gracefully.

For now it looks like I was able to resolve this problem by changing the RSSI threshold to be around -78 rather than -70, so they are not attempting to switch anymore. But I do wonder if it's just a me-problem, or if others also experience this in mesh networks?

It may depend on the mesh network, too. Some of them split each ‘node’ into different subnets, and Sonos requires all devices to be on a single subnet. You hadn’t mentioned a mesh network before, so I’d not put that possibility out there.

In most cases, Sonos recommends the use of SonosNet in systems that are used in a mesh context, by wiring a single device to the base ‘node/router’ device, which puts the Sonos devices all in a single, self meshed, system. 

There is more info in the wired and wireless modes FAQ, and the choose between wireless and wired FAQ.

Thanks Airgetlam for reply! I took a look over the system logs and it seems like it's coming from the devices trying to switch over to a different mesh AP. While other devices seem to be able to handle this switch, the Sonos devices seem incapable of handling it as gracefully.

For now it looks like I was able to resolve this problem by changing the RSSI threshold to be around -78 rather than -70, so they are not attempting to switch anymore. But I do wonder if it's just a me-problem, or if others also experience this in mesh networks?

Which WiFi mesh system are you using?

Maybe try the WiFi mesh hubs ‘bridged’ (Access Point mode) to a main router instead, or maybe leave all as it stands, but try your system in ‘wired SonosNet mode’ instead, that’s with one (or more) Sonos devices wired to the primary mesh hub/router, either direct, or via a ‘switch’. See this FAQ/support thread for further information on this topic:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I had the same issue after the update, all my connection issues started up. It’s almost a weekly chore now to keep the devices up. As the port seems to lose the Wi-Fi password, only to say it failed and suddenly it’s all good. Then it’s fine for a few days, and it’s the same thing all over again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Have you tried the suggestion above to set static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos gear?

Your router’s 

DHCP Settings page usually makes that fairly quick and uncomplicated.

Same issue here. I thought it was an ip address issue but reserved ip and still keeps crashing. I have to turn it off and on again every 2 days and it's very annoying.  I hope it's not an eol thing forcing users to change.. Still hopeful a new update might fix this as its really irritating.

Userlevel 1

This is all absolute rubbish.

At this price point you should not have to fart about with router settings, ip addresses or anything.  Particularly when using Sonos in Mesh mode.  If it isn’t plug and play, the programmers are a bunch of cowboys and should be sacked.  We did not buy Sonos to learn the ins and outs of networking, but play music and audio.

My meshed system consistently ‘unrecognises’ one of my speakers ever since the last update.  Reinstalling is not an option as Sonos have blocked me from adding speakers because I have not bought a new iPad (I have an Air2 that is used to control everything Smart in my home with no problems except the Sonos.

A few years ago, Sonos abandoned everyone with Sonos Control 1 app, making obsolete many systems using early Sonos products, penalising the early adopters who made the company successful.  Now they are forcing us to buy new iPads.

The best solution appears to be sell the lot on eBay and purchase a system made by professionals rather than cowboys.

As a workaround, I purchased a smart TPLink plug and set a timer for it to switch off in the middle of the night and then back on in the morning.

I purchased two speakers and have had them for a few days now - I am regularly experiencing this connectivity issue.

switching on and off as well as restarting my router is not the user experience I expected?!

The fixes suggested are too technical for me to implement - does anyone have any simpler suggestions, or should I return the speakers?

Thanks,

Luke

I purchased two speakers and have had them for a few days now - I am regularly experiencing this connectivity issue.

switching on and off as well as restarting my router is not the user experience I expected?!

The fixes suggested are too technical for me to implement - does anyone have any simpler suggestions, or should I return the speakers?

Thanks,

Luke

In that case it maybe best to first reproduce the issue, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

Just get a cheap tp link smart plug and set it to turn off and on during the night it's very simple and fixes the problem. Best wishes

Still having daily issues - which are solved by resetting the router.

The smart plug suggestion doesn’t work as once switched off there is no internet connection for it switch back on.

So disappointing to have to faff around with supposedly top end kit.

Any other ideas before I return?

Thank you

Luke

Still having daily issues - which are solved by resetting the router.

The smart plug suggestion doesn’t work as once switched off there is no internet connection for it switch back on.

So disappointing to have to faff around with supposedly top end kit.

Any other ideas before I return?

Thank you

Luke

Why is there no internet connection to turn a connected smart-plug back on? That should not be the case - might that be part of your issue here, if the smart-plug is also not working properly in situ?

Have you spoken to Sonos Support yet and given them the diagnostic from jour system, as mentioned earlier?

Yeah I have submitted dozens of diagnostics and spoken with Sonos support - it was working at the time, so they said there was nothing to fix, which slightly misses the point.

i tried the smart plug on the power socket to the router which obviously killed the WiFi needed to switch back on, thinking about it now probably worth trying on the power supply to the speakers - I’ll see if that works.

Thanks for your replies!

This is all absolute rubbish.

At this price point you should not have to fart about with router settings, ip addresses or anything.  Particularly when using Sonos in Mesh mode.  If it isn’t plug and play, the programmers are a bunch of cowboys and should be sacked.  We did not buy Sonos to learn the ins and outs of networking, but play music and audio.

My meshed system consistently ‘unrecognises’ one of my speakers ever since the last update.  Reinstalling is not an option as Sonos have blocked me from adding speakers because I have not bought a new iPad (I have an Air2 that is used to control everything Smart in my home with no problems except the Sonos.

A few years ago, Sonos abandoned everyone with Sonos Control 1 app, making obsolete many systems using early Sonos products, penalising the early adopters who made the company successful.  Now they are forcing us to buy new iPads.

The best solution appears to be sell the lot on eBay and purchase a system made by professionals rather than cowboys.

I agree, and for me…it will happen soon. Every 1-2 days, one or all 5 of my speakers falls off.  The amount of time and frustration I pay to just be able to Use these pricey speakers just isn’t worth it any longer. If Sonos put as much effort into their software as they do the actual speaker, they may be worth it. And I can’t even bypass the Sonos app, other srvcs still won’t find the speakers. UGH. I wish I would’ve Never bought Sonos to begin with. So frustrating. 

Thanks,

Luke

Honestly I would return them.  I just purchased a bunch of Sonos gear and I’m having the same problems.  I read this thread and the Sonos help articles and honestly it boils down to lousy Sonos network stack sw.  Wifi is intermittent, things drop off, mesh networks drop and reconnect nodes, if Sonos cannot handle these typical scenarios it is a them problem.  All of this reset their products, reboot routers, etc are hacks around a network stack that can’t handle the vagaries of a wifi network.  I have a bunch of cheaper smart speakers from Amazon, Google, Apple, none of them every loose network connection or somehow get confused by my home mesh network.  

I don’t know if Sonos engineers read these threads but if you do, you guys simply need to do a lot better.  This is unacceptable.  

Honestly I would return them.  I just purchased a bunch of Sonos gear and I’m having the same problems.  I read this thread and the Sonos help articles and honestly it boils down to lousy Sonos network stack sw.  Wifi is intermittent, things drop off, mesh networks drop and reconnect nodes, if Sonos cannot handle these typical scenarios it is a them problem.  All of this reset their products, reboot routers, etc are hacks around a network stack that can’t handle the vagaries of a wifi network.  I have a bunch of cheaper smart speakers from Amazon, Google, Apple, none of them every loose network connection or somehow get confused by my home mesh network.  

I don’t know if Sonos engineers read these threads but if you do, you guys simply need to do a lot better.  This is unacceptable.  

Why have you joined this forum today, if you no longer own a Sonos product and replying to a month old post here - seems like you’re simply here to present destructive, rather than constructive feedback.

The new Sonos App is just a remote for Sonos products by the way, it’s not a player and other Apps can be used, so advising others to return their products because of a software ‘remote’ is certainly not the best answer here in any case, there are many other options that could first be considered and there’s certainly nothing wrong at all with the Sonos Hardware.

If you read the post you would realize I currently own Sonos products.  I have an ARC and 2 amps and there is something definitely wrong with the network stack on their hw.  I have them updated to the latest releases and my network infra is Ubiquity which is enterprise grade network gear.   The WAPs are hardwired back to the controller and I have no problems with any other equipment connecting via WiFi.   I just changed my ARC from WiFi to Ethernet and it still just drops connections and stops playing.  So I’m pretty sure their network stack needs work.  

I commented on this thread so others can understand that is likely not their network and they shouldn’t have to restart, reset and generally screw around with the network to get Sonos to work.  It should be up to the Sonos gear to deal with imperfect network situations.  

If you read the post you would realize I currently own Sonos products.  I have an ARC and 2 amps and there is something definitely wrong with the network stack on their hw.  I have them updated to the latest releases and my network infra is Ubiquity which is enterprise grade network gear.   The WAPs are hardwired back to the controller and I have no problems with any other equipment connecting via WiFi.   I just changed my ARC from WiFi to Ethernet and it still just drops connections and stops playing.  So I’m pretty sure their network stack needs work.  

I commented on this thread so others can understand that is likely not their network and they shouldn’t have to restart, reset and generally screw around with the network to get Sonos to work.  It should be up to the Sonos gear to deal with imperfect network situations.  

Have you followed the Ubiquity guidelines for Sonos multicasting device discovery ? If not, see these two links…

Also see this manufacturers official link:

Have you followed the Ubiquity guidelines for Sonos multicasting device discovery ? If not, see these two links…

Also see this manufacturers official link:

Ok that was sort of helpful.  I read the note about making sure everything is either wired or wifi but a network can’t be mixed.  Tough restriction that rules out any small speakers I want to place around but ok I’ll deal with it.  Then the note says that you have to specifically go into the devices and disable wifi.  This seems strange because most network gear will notice when ethernet is connected directly and default to that but ok I went to do this.  But disabling wifi fails.  It fails multiple times on all of my devices even though they are connected to ethernet.  So I again searched the Sonos community and found this thread:  

Apparently the new app is broken and therefore you can’t disable wifi on the devices from the app.  One person managed to find a hack that if he sets the app to disable the wifi and then once it is done immediately unplugs the Sonos amp then the disable will stay.  Credit to the person that uncovered this but come on, really.

I go back to my original comment that the Sonos engineers just have to do better.

BTW, I appreciate the help.  My frustration is not directed at you or anyone on this forum.  It is directed at the engineering team that delivered this level of quality.  

Ok that was sort of helpful.  I read the note about making sure everything is either wired or wifi but a network can’t be mixed.  Tough restriction that rules out any small speakers I want to place around but ok I’ll deal with it.  Then the note says that you have to specifically go into the devices and disable wifi.  This seems strange because most network gear will notice when ethernet is connected directly and default to that but ok I went to do this.  But disabling wifi fails.  It fails multiple times on all of my devices even though they are connected to ethernet.  So I again searched the Sonos community and found this thread:  

Apparently the new app is broken and therefore you can’t disable wifi on the devices from the app.  One person managed to find a hack that if he sets the app to disable the wifi and then once it is done immediately unplugs the Sonos amp then the disable will stay.  Credit to the person that uncovered this but come on, really.

I go back to my original comment that the Sonos engineers just have to do better.

BTW, I appreciate the help.  My frustration is not directed at you or anyone on this forum.  It is directed at the engineering team that delivered this level of quality.  

That’s okay I didn’t take things personally anyway. It wouldn’t have mattered either way I would have still tried to assist you, but just to say I don’t understand what you meant about your wired/WiFi comment -  it just in case this helps further, ‘Wired Mode’ in Sonos terms does not mean every product needs to be cabled to the LAN - you just need to cable one product only to the router or switch adjacent to use as the SonosNet ‘root bridge’. I’m not sure if that clarifies anything gif you but most Ubiquity users use WiFi I believe (Wireless mode) and successfully have Sonos running on their mesh setups with no issues whatsoever.

If your problems though do persist after following the guidelines/links I posted earlier then it maybe best to first reproduce any issues, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.