Answered

sonos devices dropping connection

• 27 January 2023
  • 10 replies

After recent update majority of my Sonos devices have been constantly dropping off the internet every day or two.

It's usually been 3 out of my 7 devices, however it's starting to get worse with the 4th now dropping off. I've gotten so frustrated I thought it may have been my router so I purchased a new $400 router setup. And still they are dropping.

It's usually my Play:1, Play:3 and Play One. Looking for answers as I am now holding off on my planned Sonos purchases because of this issue.

I've created a diagnostic: 1329675780

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 January 2023, 08:36

View original

10 replies

I should mention the ONLY way I've been able to add the speakers back into the network/system is by doing a factory reset.

I've checked the router control panel when they have dropped and it looks like they are not connected to the internet so it seems like they are crashing?

More likely fighting some other device for a duplicate IP address. Try unplugging all of your Sonos devices, and while they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router has had a couple of minutes to recover, plug back in your Sonos devices. 

Thanks Airgetlam for reply! I took a look over the system logs and it seems like it's coming from the devices trying to switch over to a different mesh AP. While other devices seem to be able to handle this switch, the Sonos devices seem incapable of handling it as gracefully.

For now it looks like I was able to resolve this problem by changing the RSSI threshold to be around -78 rather than -70, so they are not attempting to switch anymore. But I do wonder if it's just a me-problem, or if others also experience this in mesh networks?

It may depend on the mesh network, too. Some of them split each ‘node’ into different subnets, and Sonos requires all devices to be on a single subnet. You hadn’t mentioned a mesh network before, so I’d not put that possibility out there.

In most cases, Sonos recommends the use of SonosNet in systems that are used in a mesh context, by wiring a single device to the base ‘node/router’ device, which puts the Sonos devices all in a single, self meshed, system. 

There is more info in the wired and wireless modes FAQ, and the choose between wireless and wired FAQ.

Thanks Airgetlam for reply! I took a look over the system logs and it seems like it's coming from the devices trying to switch over to a different mesh AP. While other devices seem to be able to handle this switch, the Sonos devices seem incapable of handling it as gracefully.

For now it looks like I was able to resolve this problem by changing the RSSI threshold to be around -78 rather than -70, so they are not attempting to switch anymore. But I do wonder if it's just a me-problem, or if others also experience this in mesh networks?

Which WiFi mesh system are you using?

Maybe try the WiFi mesh hubs ‘bridged’ (Access Point mode) to a main router instead, or maybe leave all as it stands, but try your system in ‘wired SonosNet mode’ instead, that’s with one (or more) Sonos devices wired to the primary mesh hub/router, either direct, or via a ‘switch’. See this FAQ/support thread for further information on this topic:

I had the same issue after the update, all my connection issues started up. It’s almost a weekly chore now to keep the devices up. As the port seems to lose the Wi-Fi password, only to say it failed and suddenly it’s all good. Then it’s fine for a few days, and it’s the same thing all over again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Have you tried the suggestion above to set static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos gear?

Your router’s 

DHCP Settings page usually makes that fairly quick and uncomplicated.

Same issue here. I thought it was an ip address issue but reserved ip and still keeps crashing. I have to turn it off and on again every 2 days and it's very annoying.  I hope it's not an eol thing forcing users to change.. Still hopeful a new update might fix this as its really irritating.

This is all absolute rubbish.

At this price point you should not have to fart about with router settings, ip addresses or anything.  Particularly when using Sonos in Mesh mode.  If it isn’t plug and play, the programmers are a bunch of cowboys and should be sacked.  We did not buy Sonos to learn the ins and outs of networking, but play music and audio.

My meshed system consistently ‘unrecognises’ one of my speakers ever since the last update.  Reinstalling is not an option as Sonos have blocked me from adding speakers because I have not bought a new iPad (I have an Air2 that is used to control everything Smart in my home with no problems except the Sonos.

A few years ago, Sonos abandoned everyone with Sonos Control 1 app, making obsolete many systems using early Sonos products, penalising the early adopters who made the company successful.  Now they are forcing us to buy new iPads.

The best solution appears to be sell the lot on eBay and purchase a system made by professionals rather than cowboys.

As a workaround, I purchased a smart TPLink plug and set a timer for it to switch off in the middle of the night and then back on in the morning.