Sonos cost compared to relability not worth it

• 11 November 2023
  • 10 replies

I

My sub stopped powering on. As much as a paid for my Sonis I would expect a free or repair or replacement, bit instead Sonos offer me 30% off. Why would I purchase another are more Sonos for the same to occur. Nice sound, but build poorly electronically. Keep you 30%. I sure I can find another set of qualify speakers a5 a better price and better reliability. Very dissatisfied cistomer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

You don’t mention how old  or model it is. 

I didn't purposely withhold that info.  I actually called. I've had them about 4 years they are Gen2. I really do not see the importance of the age as long as they have been well maintained. I paid for the price for the quality and I feel this sub breakdown isn't a quality product that you stand behind.

I didn't purposely withhold that info.  I actually called. I've had them about 4 years they are Gen2. I really do not see the importance of the age as long as they have been well maintained. I paid for the price for the quality and I feel this sub breakdown isn't a quality product that you stand behind.

This is a Sonos user community - no-one here knows how long you have had the Sub for, but I’m not sure what you would expect back from any device manufacturer after 4 years of using a device … I think the 30% discount voucher is a fair offer.

I certainly didn’t get that sort of offer when I had an almost £2K B&O TV fail outside its warranty period many years ago and I doubt any other manufacturer would do very much after 4 years either… my personal suggestion is to take the 30% and use the discount to extend the warranty period on a new Sub for upto 5 years. You could of course go to another manufacturer. but there’s no guarantee/certainty their device will last any longer either. For peace of mind get an extended warranty period instead. Sonos actually do such cover themselves, but there are lots of providers online, Amazon etc.

I disagree, I had a Bose system that lasted me until I wanted go wireless and Bose stood behind their product. You can have my 30% discount. I will not be using.

My experience with BOSE reliability was not good. I would avoid accepting BOSE as a gift. Why not accept the gift anyway, then give it away or sell it? I have respect for my friends and family and I wouldn’t want the hassle when the unit failed for a purchaser.

Have to agree with OP. I had a playbar that lasted about 18 months. One day it just failed to produce any sound. Sonos gave me a 30% discount that I used for a Beam, which has failed after  an update after 4 months.  Just garbage quality. I’ve never seen less reliable products. Ive had bose speakers in other parts of the house for over 10 years. Will never buy another sonos product again. 

There must be some sort of equipment karma. Some individuals seem to attract a steady stream of product failure, regardless of manufacturer. Evidently I have good karma because products that I purchase, SONOS or otherwise, last a long time

I have Sonos products that are over a decade old & still working in my Children’s Homes - it’s ‘swings & roundabouts’ with any electronic product.

In a rather similar vein, people have mobile phones/tablets, in a similar price-range to a Sub (or more) that last for ages, whilst the same make/model of mobile device might fail for some others within two-to-three years.

If you’re that bothered by these things then, as mentioned, just extend their warranty period.

I still see the 30% discount as a good offer by Sonos, on a product that was at least 3 years beyond its original warranty period. I would not expect Sonos to replace it, as that would simply upset those many ‘other’ customers who have chosen to payout for an extended warranty. 

I would have been grateful at the offer of the voucher, especially as it seems that Sonos were not asking for the original Sub to be returned to them …and for some, there are 3rd party Sonos product repairers too in some regions, notably across Europe and the U.K. and it seems people are happy to purchase such items for spares, or repair.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I really lean towards suspecting power issues when folks report continual electronics failures. Many of these are invisible to the user without expensive power monitoring equipment.

When I first got my first Sonos many years ago I put it on a high quality surge suppressor and have done the same for each new one I’ve gotten. So far none have failed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I disagree, I had a Bose system that lasted me until I wanted go wireless and Bose stood behind their product. You can have my 30% discount. I will not be using.

I have had my Gen ! Play 5s since 2009 and have been very happy with them.  i recently upgraded but if I had been offered a 30% discount for a product that I have had for four years, i would had taken it willingly.  In my opinion that is a very generous offer..