Answered

Sonos Beam cannot see new SSID as an available network

• 31 May 2023
  • 5 replies

My mother recently upgraded her modem/router that is connected to the cable internet connection upstairs. The Beam is downstairs. I noticed the signal was weak downstairs so I bought a Netgear AC1900 Wifi Mesh Extender and installed it on the main level. Since its a mesh extender it sets the SSID to the same as the primary wifi router. After doing this I was able to test a good signal in the basement and able to add the samsung smart TV in the basement to the wifi and stream video with no issues. I then tried to follow instructions to change the wifi network on the Beam that is the sound bar for the samsung smart TV in the basement and the SSID does not show in the available networks to select to in the sonos app. It says make sure your network is b/g/n compatiable. I’ve verified that the Primary wifi router and the mesh extender are both backwards compatible. So now I’m at a loss.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 10:49

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @milesmeridith 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Was the Beam ever connected to the new router prior to the purchase of the mesh extender? If so, as the extender has the same SSID as the router, your mother’s Sonos system does not need to be taught any credentials for the mesh extender, and the extender is not showing under the list of available networks as your Beam is already connected to that network. To get the Beam to actually connect to the new extender, therefore, you just need to reboot the Beam by unplugging it from power for a moment.

On the other hand, if the Beam was never connected to the new router to begin with, then it seems something is going wrong. A reboot of the router and mesh extender may help (turn the router and extender off, wait 30 seconds, turn on the router and wait for WiFi to return before turning on the extender). If this does not help, please try using another phone/tablet - if that’s an option. If you are still having trouble afterwards, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Edit: Corry beat me to it.

It never connected to the new router since the signal couldn’t reach all the way into the basement. Like I said other devices in the basement are able to connect to the range extender with no issues, but the sonos Beam doesn’t even see it as an available network when I follow the steps to connect it to a new wifi network.

It never connected to the new router since the signal couldn’t reach all the way into the basement. Like I said other devices in the basement are able to connect to the range extender with no issues, but the sonos Beam doesn’t even see it as an available network when I follow the steps to connect it to a new wifi network.

It maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App and note it’s reference.Then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter. 

Badge

What are the other devices? Does the new router SSID have 2.4Ghz turned on or is it 5Ghz only?