Question

sonos app crashing when adding sub

Userlevel 1

So with the new app, i lost my whole system. I managed to add everything again except for the Sub.

The app recognizes it on the network but crashes after 2 seconds when trying to add it, already factory resetted it.

What to do?  

25 replies

Userlevel 1

I had the same issue. You MUST remove the app. Download the apk of the old version and install it. Then add you speaker. This new app is not ready.

@Desilu where can you download the old app? I have the same issues.

Userlevel 1

I have a fix, atleast it worked for me.

I was trying to add it on my android phone, which constantly crashed. So i grabbed my ipad, and tried to add it on there and it worked flawless.

Very weird.. 

I have the same problem. Sonos app crashes when I try to add a sub mini.

Userlevel 1

Do you know anyone with an IOS device? if so try use the Sonos app on that device and try adding the sub mini, it might work like it did with my sub.

Can someone please advise. I have the same issue so now my sub woofer is now unusable. 

I have only iOS and it won’t let me use anything other than the newest version (tried on two phones). 

the sub woofer that’s paired had to be reset and now I hit remove and the app crashes. 

the sub was reconnected but now it has no room and can’t be added to the room where I need it. 

Would love a recommendation. 

Same for me. Crashed when adding Sub (gen 3) to my living room which has an Arc in it. Crashes on both my Android mobile and my iPad.

New app version dropped and two things happen:

1. My Sonos sub which is not connected to a room shows me the room I want to add it to (wasn’t working in previous version), however when I click ‘add to room’ the app crashes
  2. when I go to the room and hit ‘connect sub’ the app crashes

the newest update didn’t solve the add sub issue. 

anyone else had any luck?

same issue here 

tried on both android and iphone

I had the same issue. You MUST remove the app. Download the apk of the old version and install it. Then add you speaker. This new app is not ready.

That’s great but how do you do that?

Sonos?

Any update to fix this?

Bought a sub for 800 euro and not even being able to use it due to the app crashing. Very bad for such a brand. Plz fix this issue or i need to sell the whole set . what a bs

App crashes when adding sub to playbar. I have nothing to add just want to document my experience. Hope they resolve this issue quickly. 

Update: App version 80.01.30

App doesn’t successfully connect my sub. 

It’s slightly different than last time as the app doesn’t crash but the outcome is the same. 

two pathways:

1. Click on my sub, add to room, then it doesn’t show my tv room with my beam and rear speakers so I get stuck
  2. Click my TV Room, Connect Sub, it shows my Sub and say ‘Sub (unused)’ (this is different visually to last time, I press select and it says ‘add sub this may take a minute’. 

unfortunately the next screen says there was a problem adding the sub, check network and make sure it’s powered on. Image below  

Still not working, would love to know how others are going… also Sonos support feel free to reach out if you need me to test / provide more details to assist with debug  

Other testing:

i can add the sub to a different room (I have a standalone Sonos one in another room - this was able to be connected). 

I attempted to ‘move rooms’ and this didn’t bring up my TV Room as an option. 

I attempted to go to my TV Room and select ‘connect sub’, it shows the option to move the sub but it fails. Same error screen as my above post. 

once I do this it also orphans the subwoofer again to ‘not assigned’

also, see screenshot below, when using my TV Room, the name is missing in the first screen  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am now seeing this. I can add my Sub to my system, but when trying to add it to the room where my Playbar lives the app hard crashes. This is on iOS. It doesn’t look like I can complete this using the old S2 app or the desktop app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am now seeing this. I can add my Sub to my system, but when trying to add it to the room where my Playbar lives the app hard crashes. This is on iOS. It doesn’t look like I can complete this using the old S2 app or the desktop app.

As an update to my post above, I was just able to add my Gen 3 Sub to my Playbar.

Previously I had tried resetting multiple times, but experienced the app crash when I was trying to assign the Sub to a room. Under System Settings, I saw the ‘Assign Sub to Room’ option, and following that always made the app crash.

But…. after another reset of the Sub and adding it to my system, instead of assigning it to a room, I went into the room view itself in System Settings, the room where my Playbar is assigned, and I saw an Add Sub option. I used this and it worked.

Apologies if I’ve got the terms slightly wrong as I can no longer see them, but difference is between trying to assign the Sub before you access a room, or adding the Sub from within the room view. And even this explanation is somewhat inelegant, but it might help someone 😜

New app version and now I can’t see my sub that was previously added and I can’t even see the room the beam and surrounds are assigned to. 

guess I factory reset everything. 

thanks Sonos for an update that’s broken my system worse and has not fixed anything. 

Switch your android system language to English en the problem does not occur anymore

Same issue.  And just tried calling customer service - and it was a 70 minute wait.  

Sonos can you hear us?

Same issue here. Added a new sub mini to one of my arcs and tried to move my existing sub gen 3 but it just crashes. So now since buying a new arc and sub I've lost use of my original sub and voice assistant on everything. Can't believe the mess Sonos have made of everything. Useless.

So Tom42 gave the solution... my app also kept crashing when trying to add the sub.. calling with customer support for a long time didn't help..

Then tried to change the phone's system language to english and country united states and that worked perfectly!

I contacted customer support regarding this solution so i hope Sonos will do something with it.

It worked thank you! I changed my Dutch settings(am from Belgium) on my tablet to English US. Installation was a breeze after that.

That’s great but how do you do that?

Did that but they force you to upgrade before you can add a speaker, Still no luck adding my sub mini

Won’t work anymore, they force you to upgrade the app before you can add a speaker. This is rediculous this threat ia already 2 monds old and only thing Sonos support can say is the are trying to fix it. At least they should allow adding speakers with the old app, now there is no alternative exept sending this cr*p back.