Answered

Sonos 1 "unable to connect to Sonos" message since yesterday's app update

• 15 January 2023
  • 4 replies

I cannot figure out why my Sonos 1 is “unable to connect to Sonos”.  I had no problems connecting to Sonos before two days ago when spotify connectivity encountered a problem in the Sonos app.  My router and network have not changed, my router shows a great 2.4 ghz signal strength for my Sonos 1.   I tried resetting my Sonos 1 with initial connectivity but then I see “unable to connect to Sonos” error message with a blank screen on my app.  When I unplug and replug my Sonos 1 in my app finds it with internet connectivity, but then it losses it.  

Would a VPN affect connectivity?  This has never been a problem in the past.  My router sends all of my internet communication through a VPN.  I even tried having my Sonos 1 be an exception routing it through my WAN without resolving this issue.

Please help, thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 January 2023, 01:45

View original

4 replies

Yes, a VPN would likely cause this issue, and might be ‘sudden’ if there was an update to the VPN’s definitions in the background. A VPN is made to reject outside attempts to connect, such as Sonos uses to communicate between the speakers, the router, and your controller. 

I would try two things, since a Sonos software update can also expose issues with your router.

First, do a network refresh by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, and while they are powered down, reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reboot, then plug back in your Sonos, and give them a couple of minutes to reboot before testing.

Second, try temporarily disabling your VPN, and test. If this works, you’ll probably need to search Sonos FAQs to see if they have specific instructions for your VPN, or you may need to contact that company’s customer service for additional help. 

Yes, a VPN would likely cause this issue, and might be ‘sudden’ if there was an update to the VPN’s definitions in the background. A VPN is made to reject outside attempts to connect, such as Sonos uses to communicate between the speakers, the router, and your controller. 

I would try two things, since a Sonos software update can also expose issues with your router.

First, do a network refresh by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, and while they are powered down, reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reboot, then plug back in your Sonos, and give them a couple of minutes to reboot before testing.

Second, try temporarily disabling your VPN, and test. If this works, you’ll probably need to search Sonos FAQs to see if they have specific instructions for your VPN, or you may need to contact that company’s customer service for additional help. 

Thank you.  I turned off my VPN and set up my Sonos one after resetting it.  Then I turned on my VPN...so far so good.

Thank you.  I turned off my VPN and set up my Sonos one after resetting it.  Then I turned on my VPN...so far so good.

Just lost connection again, so made a policy rules exception for my SONOS one to use WAN instead of my VPN tunnel.  Seems to be working so far.

@Aaronac8 I am having the exact same issue you encountered! Would you mind posting instructions as to how you created the policy rules exception for Sonos to use WAN instead of VPN? I would be most grateful for your help. Thank you for your time and consideration!

And thanks to @Airgetlam for taking the time to help users like us find solutions to problems that prohibit us from enjoying the music!