Answered

sonos 1 airplay

• 8 October 2023
  • 12 replies

I’ve never had an issue connecting my iPhone to the sonos airplay - all of a sudden it’s stated saying ‘unable to connect’ I’ve removed the app, reconnected the app, tried literally everything - I don’t know how to connect the two

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 October 2023, 11:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

The next time your Sonos One does not show as available in the AirPlay connection list, maybe try the following:

1. Open the Sonos app
  2. Go to Settings » System » About my System
  3. Find the IP address of your speaker
  4. Open a browser on a device connected to your local network
  5. In the address bar, type http://[IP address of speaker]:1400/tools.htm (the whole thing should look something like “http://192.168.0.125:1400/tools.htm”, but the four numbers will/may vary). You may want to bookmark this page
  6. Click the “mDNS Announce” button at the bottom of the page.
  7. You should see a simple page with nothing but “Success”. You can now close the browser
  8. You should now see the Sonos One appear in the AirPlay list of devices to connect to.

Also try to initiate the AirPlay v2 connection from within an app (Apple Music app, or Spotify app, for example), which will ensure you are using AirPlay v2 which is supported by Sonos.

managed to do this but it appears in Airplay anyway; just won’t connect. After clicking success the situation is still the same 

managed to do this but it appears in Airplay anyway; just won’t connect. After clicking success the situation is still the same 

Make sure you’re using an AirPlay v2 App like Apple Music and see if that works for you. I think some  AirPlay v1 Apps may not work in some cases.

I wanted to play BBC sounds; I’ve added the channel now but tbh I’m finding sonos very annoying full stop 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jopinkjo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Does “tried literally everything” include a reboot of your router, speaker and phone? If not, I recommend doing so. Please turn your router off for at least 30 seconds and reboot your speaker and phone afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Yes it does, I’ve removed the app and re Downloaded it several times too 

Yes it does, I’ve removed the app and re Downloaded it several times too 

It is likely something local to you and network-related. I’m not having any issues at all AirPlaying to compatible Sonos products, including a number of Sonos One speakers. If the issue persists, then you could try the suggestions mentioned in the Apple user community. See below a quick list I’ve put together:

• Restart all devices and try to AirPlay again
  • Remove and reinstall the App being used for Airplay on the sending device
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it ‘on’ on the sending device
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers)
  • Connect to the same WiFi network access point
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • Disable ‘Private Address’ MAC Spoofing in the iOS Network connection 
  • Disable WiFi calling.
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics and closer to the main router
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages or better still, reboot the router.
  • Switch off any Security/VPN software installed on the sending (mobile) device

If still no luck, then it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

So I have also been experiencing the same issues, we have 4 Sonos Ones around the house and all of them are having the same issue. We only use Apple services like Apple Music and Apple TV and about once a month the same thing happens where the Sonos ones are visible in airplay but can’t connect to play through them (get a warning that says so). I have had to do a factory reset 3 times now, always after about a month the same issue happens.

So I have also been experiencing the same issues, we have 4 Sonos Ones around the house and all of them are having the same issue. We only use Apple services like Apple Music and Apple TV and about once a month the same thing happens where the Sonos ones are visible in airplay but can’t connect to play through them (get a warning that says so). I have had to do a factory reset 3 times now, always after about a month the same issue happens.

I would not choose to keep factory resetting your devices, that’s really a last resort option and should really only be done on the advice of Support Staff in many cases or when you come to sell the equipment etc. you might be able to fix the issue with a simple reboot of your router instead. So if it happens again then give that a try - it may also be worthwhile (if you have a lot of Sonos products, more than half a dozen to also fixing their network IP addresses in the routers DHCP reservation table, but that’s optional.

If the issues persist then it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

I noticed that Sonos device connectivity issues began with the upgrade of Apple iOS17.  Some of my Sonos devices still connect.  But, some devices cannot, causing the “unable to connect” alert.  I see the problem in both my iPhone and iPad.  I suspect there is a problem in iOS17.

As for the numerous other suggestions in this thread that deal with generic to Wi-fi settings and network testing, I have tried all of this.  The situation is the same.  Some devices connect, some will not.  (My Marantz app will also no longer connect, but it worked flawlessly with iOS16, and I opened a similar support ticket with them).

Today I opened a ticket with Sonos support regarding this connectivity issue and my thoughts that this is related to iOS17.   

Userlevel 2

Having the same issues. Not sure if it’s iOS 17 (now 17.1) or Sonos but Airplay is absolutely garbage now.

And we can’t stream Apple Music through the Sonos app because of the ongoing inconsistent volume issue that Sonos has not addressed (or fixed since 15.3). If you’re not affected, consider it a blessing. Volume is too loud at 1% and volume of Apple Music songs are inconsistent (some loud, some quiet). This was previously not an issue before the release of 15.3 and the Era speakers.

Further, resorting to AirPlay so volume normalization can be applied via device, but now, AirPlay is garbage. It takes multiple tries to connect with speakers consistently dropping off. Everything is up to date, everything has been reset, tried regular wireless connection and SonosNET and same issues. Apple and Sonos use to play so well together - now it seems updates only continue to break things. 

I was able to resolve the Airplay problem with my Sonos devices. I had to reset EVERYTHING and build the stereo pairs plus sub again.  One by one I reset the speakers, repaired, set up the EQ.  

It is working for now–perhaps until the next iOS update.  Glad to have everything Sonos working again!

I was not able to resolve the issue with my Marantz, though.  Have tried everything they recommended and I continue to get the Cannot Connect error.  Just bad work at Apple.