Answered

Seeking Resolution for Sonos System Performance Issues

• 8 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Dear Sonos Community,

I've been a dedicated Sonos user for a decade, often recommending the system to friends due to its stellar performance and user experience. However, I've encountered persistent issues with my Play 5's that have left me seeking assistance. Despite my home's robust FTTH 1GB mesh network setup, I'm experiencing intermittent cutouts and jitters, particularly with the Play 5's, which disrupt the seamless audio experience Sonos is known for.

During a recent demonstration in my study, the system's performance fluctuated unexpectedly in front of an esteemed international DJ, which was quite disheartening. The network matrix indicates an intermittent red signal from the Sub, yet my network remains otherwise stable and fast, which suggests the possibility of a software inconsistency.

With two devices directly connected to the LAN via Cat 6 and no discernible network issues, I'm inclined to believe there could be a software-related anomaly affecting system stability. Interestingly, playback via the Amazon app appears more stable than when using the Sonos app, which adds to my concern that there might be software optimization opportunities.

I am reaching out to the community and Sonos support in hopes of finding a resolution. As a software developer myself, I recognize the potential benefits of open-source collaboration and wonder if such an approach might offer a pathway to improving longevity and performance for legacy systems.

I remain hopeful for a solution that will restore my system to its former reliability and allow me to continue enjoying and recommending Sonos.

Warm regards,

Richard

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 January 2024, 22:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

There are several steps I would consider.

First, your Sub may be affected by wifi interference . As a knowledgeable developer yourself, I probably don’t need to suggest that this interference can come from devices in your network, outside your network, or even outside your home. But there are others who will gain from this response, hopefully.

Next, I’d recommend setting up reserved IP addresses for all your network devices in your home. The simple fact is not all routers can be trusted to maintain accurate data in their DHCP tables, and setting up reserved IPs will at least help that situation. Especially given the frequent requests for new IPs that Sonos does every time there is a software update, and the device reboots itself. 

Finally, if following the advice given in these two options doesn’t change the situation, I would highly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be harder information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.