Answered

Same house, different routers

• 3 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello there,

I have a Sonos One and a Sonos SL connected to the router downstairs and all is super there.

i purchased another Sonos SL for the bedroom which operates on a different router. I connected and it worked but as soon as the email connection drops (happens fairly regularly) or a power cut this Sonos needs resetting. It just doesn’t seem happy to be on a different router. I try to control from my iPhone but sometimes it shows the speaker, sometimes not. I have factory reset to get it to work but just not happy. There must be an easier way. Do I need another piece of kit or a different Sonos? 

icon

Best answer by buzz 3 March 2024, 17:19

View original

1 reply

I suggest that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. Rebooting a device usually works through the issue you are describing.

I’m not sure what you mean by “router”. There is a tendency to equate “Modem”, “Router”, “Gateway”, and “Access Point”. A Gateway typically combines all of these functions, Router does not include a Modem and may include a WiFi Access Point. A Router is a take charge guy and having two fully active Routers on a home network results in a struggle for control that the user will lose. Since some “routers” also include an Access Point, it may be useful to reuse an old “router” as a simple Access Point in order to improve WiFi coverage. In this case it is important to disable the router function of the device. This is usually referred to as “Bridge Mode”.

I suggest that you use the same SSID (WiFi name) and channel number for each Access Point. This is the simplest, easiest to understand scheme, but there are other schemes that can also work. For the 2.4GHz band use 20MHz channel 1, 6, or 11, don’t use “Auto”.