Answered

Reset modem and set up same wifi: now Sonos can't connect

• 20 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello

Recently my dual band modem started to ‘drop’ and not broadcast the 2.4 ghz range so my ISP advised first that I reboot (I did) and failing that, a factory reset which followed. I then set up the same network ID and password as before so that my existing devices (laptops, phones etc.) could reconnect automatically and this worked….except for my Sonos system.

Using the app, I cannot get my Play 1 or any other speaker to be discovered. I have factory reset 3 of the six speakers and still have the same problem. My ISP says it is an issue with Sonos?  I haven’t changed any other settings, either on the modem or Sonos.  Help! 

icon

Best answer by mirkymirk 23 November 2023, 05:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

First, stop Factory Resetting SONOS units without further consult.

Have you rebooted all of the SONOS units? Let’s power down all of the SONOS units that you have Factory Reset and work to get the others online.

What model router are we dealing with?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you temporarily connect a speaker with an Ethernet cable? This can help get a system jump-started. Then leave it a few minutes and the other speakers will come online. You’ll then need to manually add the ones you’ve factory reset. 

First, stop Factory Resetting SONOS units without further consult.

Have you rebooted all of the SONOS units? Let’s power down all of the SONOS units that you have Factory Reset and work to get the others online.

What model router are we dealing with?

Hi.

I have an Ignite Gateway Modem with Wifi 6 and 6E. I am broadcasting all three bands (as before) but my Sonos and most other devices connect to the 2.4 Ghz band.

I have powered down and plugged in all the other units and still cannot connect to the devices after following the prompts in the app.

Can you temporarily connect a speaker with an Ethernet cable? This can help get a system jump-started. Then leave it a few minutes and the other speakers will come online. You’ll then need to manually add the ones you’ve factory reset. 

I have connected directly through ethernet to my modem and speaker and followed the prompts in the app (ie, push buttons on the speaker etc.) and still no connection.  I have done the same with the other speakers which are Play 1’s and same result.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What is your Sonos controller connecting to? If it is using a different band than the Sonos it may be blocking some of the needed communication.

Is the router using a supported mode?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

What is your Sonos controller connecting to? If it is using a different band than the Sonos it may be blocking some of the needed communication.

Is the router using a supported mode?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

All of my Sonos products were connected to the 2.4 band. I have just been able to reconnect them after factory resetting, but now to the 5Ghz band which is not what I want, but works in the short term. (We have a party this weekend and need music, so after, I will try switching back to 2.4. If anyone has any ideas why it works on 5 but not 2.4 (same network IDs and passwords now as before, with no problem) thank you! This is a pain in the XXX.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

As @Stanley_4 Asks was your phone connecting to 5ghz?  If so it may be that the router was blocking traffic between the 2.4 and 5 bands.

As @Stanley_4 Asks was your phone connecting to 5ghz?  If so it may be that the router was blocking traffic between the 2.4 and 5 bands.

I was making sure that the wifi band on my phone matched that of the Sonos band.  Tonight, things are unexpectedly working...as expected :). 

Thanks to all who chimed in!