Answered

Recomendations for placement of era 300 rears in my open concept living area

• 29 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Looking for recommendations for mounting 300 rears. I have an open concept living room. Wondering if anyone has experience with this and if they would even be worth it. I’ve done little map of potentials spots. Note the vaulted ceiling that also runs through the room. Red would be stand mounted behind the sofa, but would that be a problem for sound on the offset sofa? But also marked in red due to wife potentially killing me for trying to place them in that location. Green is mounted on wall about 9 feet up for left rear and right rear 9’ up above a cabinet. Any thoughts or experiences shared would be much appreciated. 

thank you

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 31 May 2023, 11:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Benjiba8089, welcome to Sonos Community!

You can find some helpful information in our Sonos Era 300 User Guide, showing below the most relevant for the speaker placement. 

Trueplay tuning will balance the sound for wherever you place Era 300, but for the speaker to project sound most effectively, here are a few guidelines:

• Era 300 should be placed indoors and have approximately two ft (.61 m) of overhead clearance for optimal sound quality. Placement in an enclosed space like a bookshelf is not recommended as this could impact dispersion and playback clarity.
  • If you are mounting Era 300 within 2 ft (.61 m) of a ceiling, place it upside down for the best sound.
  • When Era 300 is placed next to a wall or on a shelf, leave at least 1" (2.5 cm) clearance in back and 8” (20.32 cm) on each side of the speaker.
  • When using Era 300 speakers as surrounds, leave at least 8" (20.32 cm) clearance around the sides of each speaker.
  • Traditional stereo setups often have an ideal place to sit in a room for the best listening experience, but with Era 300 the sound is sent in all directions so you'll experience rich detail no matter where you’re seated.

Note: Don’t position Era 300 vertically or at a steep angle or the audio will stop.

There are also several threads where users shared tips, based on their experience, that might help you decide, so feel free to look around in our Community.

Ultimately it’s your own sound experience that counts, and I’d recommend testing different locations followed by a Trueplay tuning every time and see what sounds best for you.

My response here will bring your thread back to the top of the activity list, maybe other users with similar setup can share their experience.

I hope this helps.