Answered

Product Downgrade Issue

• 30 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Attempting to downgrade my Play 3 to be s1 compatible.  Sonos is “finding” a product that I don't even have…

...I only have a Play 3 speaker.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 8 December 2022, 15:06

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Could it be only the picture is wrong? Is that the serial number of your Play 3?

Serial number is wrong

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
hellowhat sonos product do you have that is not S2 compatible?is your play 3 reset?does it flash green?cordially
Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @chris blake

I’m not sure why you’d be seeing a Sonos One as a device to downgrade if you don’t own one, that’s a very strange issue. However, I’ve noticed you said you only have a Play:3, did you mean you only have Play:3 speakers or that you only have the one Play:3 speaker. If it’s the latter, then you wont be able to downgrade the Play:3 to S1, as you need an existing S1 system to connect the Play:3.

If you do have an existing S1 system, then as @xav7814 has requested, have you reset your Play:3 and is the LED flashing green? If not, you’ll want to Factory Reset the speaker before continuing. After doing that, follow the steps in the S2 app to downgrade your speaker to S1, then connect it to your S1 system.

I hope this information helps!

The “More Options” on the  downgrade instructions to not appear on the screen. 
when I installed a new Roam, and found out it is not S1 compatible, I installed in on S2. S2 decided to upgrade my S1 devices without my knowledge, and now I cannot downgrade the Play3 that is “upgraded” so my whole S1 set of speakers do not work together. 
Why is Sonos unable to support normal backwards compatibility and why do they perform unauthorized upgrades? I assume they want me to buy all new equipment.  
mall because I thought a little Roam would be nice. 
F this. 

The “More Options” on the  downgrade instructions to not appear on the screen.

The ‘more options’ do appear if you have freshly installed the S2 App with no existing S2 system to connect it to. If however the S2 App is setup/connected to an S2 Houseold, then the downgrade tool for factory resetting (compatible) products to S1 is in ‘Settings/Support’ area of the App. 

when I installed a new Roam, and found out it is not S1 compatible, I installed in on S2. S2 decided to upgrade my S1 devices without my knowledge, and now I cannot downgrade the Play3 that is “upgraded” so my whole S1 set of speakers do not work together. 

You must have missed or misread the information presented to you on-screen and opted to upgrade your S2 compatible speakers held in the same Sonos Houdehold. If you were perhaps unsure, then the easiest option would have been to simply power-off any speakers you did not wish to upgrade.

That said, downgrade to S1 for a Play:3 is possible and easy, so long as you still have an existing S1 system to add it too.. if not, I would just leave it setup on S2.

Why is Sonos unable to support normal backwards compatibility and why do they perform unauthorized upgrades? I assume they want me to buy all new equipment.  
mall because I thought a little Roam would be nice. 
F this. 

The upgrade is something you select to do in the S1 Sonos App, no one forces you to upgrade. The two Sonos systems, operating separately, was very widely discussed here some years ago… if you search the forum you will see the lengthy threads on the S1/S2 split to save everyone having to discuss the subject all over again.

The easiest method for yourself would have been to have closed the S1 App and powered off the S2 compatible devices. Then download the S2 App and installed the Roam. When all was setup you can then use S1 App for your existing devices and the S2 App for the Roam. 

Note: If using iOS controller devices and have an Airplay2 Sonos product in your S1 system, then it would be possibly to airplay audio to both your Households.