Answered

Power cables not long enough on era 100 when wall mounted

• 28 June 2023
  • 23 replies

Hi all, 

So I have a new stereo paired set of era 100 which I have wall mounted which sound incredible! but I will need to cable tidy in trunking to make the wall look tidy and the cables aren’t long enough I was thinking of getting an electrician in to just cut and lengthen the cables but am worried this will void my warrenty I looked at getting a spare cable and getting those lengthened but sonos don’t seem to sell them any idea where I can get some or if I can just cut the originals without warranty concerns.

Thanks 

Matt

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 29 June 2023, 14:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Mithras, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve checked with our sales team and we don’t have a timeline for the long/short cable variants of the Era 100 and Era 300.

Altering the power cables that come with the Era 100 and Era 300 then using them with those speakers would void your warranty, so I would advise against that.

Hopefully with my reply pushing this thread to the most recent topics, it will invite other community users to share their suggestions or solutions to the cable length. I would also mark this thread as a product request for longer cables and forward this to our sales team to let them know there is interest in different cable lengths for the Era 100 and Era 300.

I hope this helps!

Hey Jamie,  last night I mounted two Era 100’s as surrounds in a remodel I just finished up. I planned the outlet locations so I could have an outlet right next to the speaker up high and a tidy install. I was really hoping short cords would be in the plan so I don’t have 6’ bundled up right there. As for what is the right length, I feel like 1.5’ would be longer than I need but allow for some flexibility if the outlet wasn’t literally right there. For me, it worked really nice that the outlet is mounted to the side of the stud, and the speaker mount is centered on that attached to the front of the same stud.

I don’t understand why replacing a generic, commodity power cord with another should void a warranty.

One possible solution would be to stuff excess cord into a “brush plate”.

I’ve always assumed it had to do with ‘you’re not using the supplied piece, so…’, but it was an assumption. I certainly agree, power cords are pretty bog standard. Either it’s getting the voltage, or it’s melting the cable…which could be why, they want to maintain the integrity of the wires inside to ensure they can carry the correct amperage. I could easily see someone who didn’t know what they were doing decide to use a thinner gauge wire. And causing an issue. 

We just bought a two more Sonos ERA 100’S to use in our kitchen, we replaced two Sonos One’s. I was surprised that out existing short power cords would not fit in the Era 100. I would love to have short power cables for Era 100.

Badge +1

I am in the same situation. Nightmare. On the phone with them now and he is looking into it. 

Same here, it is very interesting that the longer option is missing. This way I cannot mount my eras.

You can’t get, as a temporary solution, a short extension cord?

Unfortunately if I mount the eras to the wall, then the standard cables are not long enough to reach the closest electric outlet. I also need the longer version, because with that I can do a proper cable management which does not look horrible. Do you have an estimation when a longer option will be available? Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m no electrical engineer, but why do Sonos choose a random new connector type with almost every device? Like, pick a connector, and stick with it guys.

Can the Eras be powered from their usb-c port? That would be a solution, as going forward I guess everything is going to have usb-c.

same problem here. I went with sonos partly because they are pretty invisible, but not when you need to add a clunky extension cord to your device. Sonos make a compatible long and short variant for any device you put out. 

What would you define as ‘long’, and what as ‘short’? Will those lengths work for all users?

12 foot long works.

That’s what Sonos sells for other devices, and after buying and returning several of them, I learned the reason none of them fit my era 100 is because Sonos doesn’t make them for that speaker. Very annoying.

Hi all, 

So I have a new stereo paired set of era 100 which I have wall mounted which sound incredible! but I will need to cable tidy in trunking to make the wall look tidy and the cables aren’t long enough I was thinking of getting an electrician in to just cut and lengthen the cables but am worried this will void my warrenty I looked at getting a spare cable and getting those lengthened but sonos don’t seem to sell them any idea where I can get some or if I can just cut the originals without warranty concerns.

Thanks 

Matt

similar problem would welcome longer power cables to wall mount 

+1 — I looked a month ago and was surprised this wasn’t an option. I currently have an unsightly extension cord mid-way up the wall. 

Same here 

they just need a loner option as per Sonos 1 so hopefully these will become available in the future 

the other option is of course to splice in some new cable which has its downside of course but would not impact on performance 

Freaking amazing that Sonos can’t get the act together and exploit some country to make them a variety of chord lengths?
Just move an outlet in a wall, cut some drywall, are you kidding me? 
What a joke Sonos!!

OK, simple question.  Can I cut the power cord of the Sonos Era100 and shortening it?  I don’t care about warranty.   

It’s an electrical cord, so yes, with all the necessary precautions. 

It’s time for a bureaucrat in EU to write up a bill to standardize Power Cable for ‘home entertainment devices’. If they can do that to phones, they can do that to other devices too.

Heh, just what is needed, more regulations. Shouldn’t companies be, for the most part, supplying what the market demands? 

What is your ‘required’ cable length? I don’t have one, it varies based on the speaker location….

Heh, just what is needed, more regulations. Shouldn’t companies be, for the most part, supplying what the market demands? 

What is your ‘required’ cable length? I don’t have one, it varies based on the speaker location….

I would prefer that companies (not governments) start pushing USB-C as a standard for lower power devices.  This has an advantage that besides having cables readily available in various lengths, you also  don’t have to worry about the mains voltage of a particular part of the world and include a transformer in your device.

Of course, I’m not an electrician, and it seems like the ability for USB to handle 5V, 9V, 15V, or 20V, and a consumer being likely to use whatever USB power adapter they have on hand would mean that you don’t know exactly what voltage is coming in to your device.  However, this has never been an issue, that I’ve witnessed anyway, with phones or other devices that power via USB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d go for standard power cable connectors, not a standard power cable.