Answered

Play music via Bluetooth to stereo-paired Era 100, is it true stereo?

• 13 November 2023
  • 4 replies

I watched this video from the Sonos official channel. But I am wondering that if we play music via Bluetooth to stereo-paired Era 100, is it a true stereo? For example, one speaker is the left channel, another one is the right channel. Or 2 speakers actually just have the exact same sound out?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 November 2023, 15:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes, why wouldn’t it be stereo, when the speakers are set up on the network as a stereo pair? Now, if they were set up as two ‘rooms’ and grouped, rather than a stereo pair in a single Sonos ‘room’, then they’d both be playing the same combined right and left signal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Try and play "Heard it through the grapevine” by Marvin Gaye. You'll hear the stereo effect in the first seconds.

By the way, if both speakers would play the same sound it wouldn't be stereo but (dual) mono. There's no "true” vs “untrue” stereo.

I can confirm, when in range of their WiFi connection, that both the Era 100 and Era 300 paired speakers play in stereo over a Bluetooth pairing - I tested with a stereo test file from Amazon Music - Also, it does not matter if the BT sending device (an iPad in my case) is BT-paired to the left, or right, speaker, the correct/separate audio channels are played on the Sonos stereo pair. The left audio channel goes to the left speaker and the right audio channel goes to the right speaker.

Thanks for everyone’s helpful response! Now I don’t need to worry about this issue and go head to buy Sonos speakers as my plan. 😚