Answered

Play:5 Wont Link to my device

• 22 January 2023
  • 9 replies

My Play:5 has sat in a box for 2 years before I finally decided to set it up. It has began to be one heck of a struggle though. The recent days I’ve been trying everything to get it set up, but failure after failure I get the same “sonos is having trouble linking to your device, check your wifi and try again later”. I’ve even tried this multiple times with an Ethernet cable, I’ve deleted the app multiple times, restarted the router, used multiple Ethernet cables, and I get the same error message every time, and I know there is nothing wrong with my wifi. It should not be this hard for a damn bluetooth speaker. This will not register to my device at all. 549.99 for this bs. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 January 2023, 21:29

View original

9 replies

I assume you were using the older S1 (black) Sonos App, rather than the S2 (gold) App when trying these things? If not, I would try again with the S1 App instead. Then if that works for you, go through the upgrade process later, to get the speaker running on S2.

I was not aware of that other app. I was just using the regular app with the gold background called “Sonos”, thank you for your response and I will try it.

I tried the black s1 app, and it is telling me product not found. Very odd 

If it's been in the box for 2 years, more than likely the firmware is too far out of date to add via wireless.  Connect it to your router via an ethernet cable, then try to add.  Once it adds and updates, you can deploy it wirelessly.

I tried the black s1 app, and it is telling me product not found. Very odd 

It might be the firmware is so far out of date that you might need the help of Sonos support to get it set up - The reason I say that is these days, a Sonos S1 only device is required to create a brand new S1 Sonos Household and it’s not clear if you have such a device? I’m guessing you don’t… so you might need to get the Sonos Staff involved to get the device setup direct on S2.

S1 only devices needed for creation of an S1 HH are… 

Connect (Gen 1)
Connect:Amp (Gen 1)
Play:5 (Gen 1)

ZonePlayer 80
ZonePlayer 90
ZonePlayer 100
ZonePlayer 120
ZonePlayer S5

It did find it with the use of Ethernet, and told me to go to the s2 app. I did and it’s now telling me that more apps are using airplay and I need to change that. Not sure what that wants me to do. 

Update that last one did not matter, pretty sure I got it to work! Thank you so much

Anyhow do not give up yet.. try wiring it to the router as @jgatie suggests and I would factory reset it again, so that it’s status LED is flashing green …and then give it another go with the S1 Sonos App and try with the S2 Sonos App too ... choose to ‘create a new Sonos system’.

If you are able to get it up and running on S1, you can then go onto upgrade it to the S2 system through the S1 App, but maybe the S2 might work to upgrade it directly.🤞

Otherwise (if no joy with either App) it might be that you need to get in touch with Sonos Support for them to maybe assist you with getting it setup. 

@Met72 - ah it seems our posts crossed - so you now have the speaker up and running, is that correct?