Answered

Play:5 line-in not working, except in group

• 19 November 2022
  • 10 replies

So I’m having a weird issue : my Sonos Play:5 won’t play music from line-in. That being said, if I group it with another room, the other speaker can play the music from the line-in (but still not the Play:5). 

Sound is high, and not on mute. I rebooted the device. This is a new problem. 

I’m starting to think it’s an hardware failure. Anyone got an idea of what I should try to fix this?

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 23 November 2022, 12:58

View original

10 replies

Can you play other sources on this PLAY:5?

Can you play other sources on this PLAY:5?

I should have said it, but yes, music services work on it.

Can you Group the other way -- start music playing in another Room, then add this PLAY:5 to the Group?

This would be a very odd hardware failure because PLAY:5 is logically two separate units, both attached to the network. Line-In is made available to all players on the network. Operationally, nothing has changed recently. You need to select the PLAY:5’s own Line-In as it’s source.

Can you Group the other way -- start music playing in another Room, then add this PLAY:5 to the Group?

This would be a very odd hardware failure because PLAY:5 is logically two separate units, both attached to the network. Line-In is made available to all players on the network. Operationally, nothing has changed recently. You need to select the PLAY:5’s own Line-In as it’s source.

Yes I can listen to music in another room, and then add that Play:5 to the group.

The only thing not working, that I can find anyway, Is the Line-In when used to play on its Play:5.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @Effetk, welcome to the Sonos Community.

That’s definitely a weird case. I would recommend you to submit Diagnostics while your Play:5 is “playing" from the Line-In source, write down the number and reach out to Sonos Support, as they have more tools at their disposal.

One more Diagnostics report, your Play:5 grouped with another Sonos room playing from the Line-In source, would also help with additional information.

Feel free to reply here and let us know for any updates.

Hello @Effetk, welcome to the Sonos Community.

That’s definitely a weird case. I would recommend you to submit Diagnostics while your Play:5 is “playing" from the Line-In source, write down the number and reach out to Sonos Support, as they have more tools at their disposal.

One more Diagnostics report, your Play:5 grouped with another Sonos room playing from the Line-In source, would also help with additional information.

Feel free to reply here and let us know for any updates.

Excellent, will do. Thanks!

I have the same problem.  I have my Play 5 Gen 1 connected to a kitchen TV via line-in. Don’t use it very often but it’s suddenly silent when I tried it today. Like the O/P the Sonos otherwise works perfectly.

OK, found the solution elsewhere.

OK, found the solution elsewhere.

What was it?

Set Autoplay Room to the location of the Sonos.

Include Grouped Rooms OFF

Also installed latest update to Sonos Controller.