Answered

Play:5 line-in not working, except in group

• 19 November 2022
  • 6 replies

So I’m having a weird issue : my Sonos Play:5 won’t play music from line-in. That being said, if I group it with another room, the other speaker can play the music from the line-in (but still not the Play:5). 

Sound is high, and not on mute. I rebooted the device. This is a new problem. 

I’m starting to think it’s an hardware failure. Anyone got an idea of what I should try to fix this?

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 23 November 2022, 12:58

View original

6 replies

Can you play other sources on this PLAY:5?

Can you play other sources on this PLAY:5?

I should have said it, but yes, music services work on it.

Can you Group the other way -- start music playing in another Room, then add this PLAY:5 to the Group?

This would be a very odd hardware failure because PLAY:5 is logically two separate units, both attached to the network. Line-In is made available to all players on the network. Operationally, nothing has changed recently. You need to select the PLAY:5’s own Line-In as it’s source.

Can you Group the other way -- start music playing in another Room, then add this PLAY:5 to the Group?

This would be a very odd hardware failure because PLAY:5 is logically two separate units, both attached to the network. Line-In is made available to all players on the network. Operationally, nothing has changed recently. You need to select the PLAY:5’s own Line-In as it’s source.

Yes I can listen to music in another room, and then add that Play:5 to the group.

The only thing not working, that I can find anyway, Is the Line-In when used to play on its Play:5.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hello @Effetk, welcome to the Sonos Community.

That’s definitely a weird case. I would recommend you to submit Diagnostics while your Play:5 is “playing" from the Line-In source, write down the number and reach out to Sonos Support, as they have more tools at their disposal.

One more Diagnostics report, your Play:5 grouped with another Sonos room playing from the Line-In source, would also help with additional information.

Feel free to reply here and let us know for any updates.

Hello @Effetk, welcome to the Sonos Community.

That’s definitely a weird case. I would recommend you to submit Diagnostics while your Play:5 is “playing" from the Line-In source, write down the number and reach out to Sonos Support, as they have more tools at their disposal.

One more Diagnostics report, your Play:5 grouped with another Sonos room playing from the Line-In source, would also help with additional information.

Feel free to reply here and let us know for any updates.

Excellent, will do. Thanks!