Answered

Play 5 can no longer connect to wifi

• 2 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I’ve had a Play 5 gen 2 for 5+ years working without issue.  Last 2 months has been hell for me because it just suddenly stops working and no longer connected (and not seen by app). 

I’ve tried factory reset a dozen times and I’m able to set it up, but then the app warns me I may have to restart the speaker if it’s not seen in app. I do that and it’s not resolved. 

When network cable is unplugged:

• Play 5 no longer appears as available in the app ('System' page as well 'About My System')
  • Play 5 no longer plays any music l when I press the play button
  • Play 5 appears in the Airplay list on my iPhone, but actual Airplay connection appears to fail
  • App function 'Find Missing Products' is unable to retrieve
  • App function 'Manage Networks' brings mixed results, only once out of several attempts I managed to get connected to wifi (router lists IP address) ... but the device did not end up in the 'System' page and after restart it was no longer connected

I’m so frustrated! Can someone help?

my diagnostic ID is 1809859421

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 April 2023, 19:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It’s not too clear from your post, but does the speaker work okay when cabled to the LAN? If so, it maybe a faulty WiFi adapter (perhaps?).

If it’s practical to do so, maybe leave it wired to an access point, and/or contact Sonos Support with the system diagnostic report (whilst speaker is wired and showing in the App) and note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter. 

Badge +2

It’s not too clear from your post, but does the speaker work okay when cabled to the LAN? If so, it maybe a faulty WiFi adapter (perhaps?).

If it’s practical to do so, maybe leave it wired to an access point, and/or contact Sonos Support with the system diagnostic report (whilst speaker is wired and showing in the App) and note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter. 

I reset the play 5 again and this time connected it via Ethernet directly to one of my switches. 

wasn’t able to successfully add it either. I get to same place with the app saying it’s added but it may not appear, so power off etc. I tried this 4 times, same result each time  

I took a new diagnostic after the 4th attempt:

So this must be more than just faulty Wi-Fi.  I’ll try to contact support directly. 

Badge +2

@thebobbydigital
Does your Sonos system/network meet these system requirements:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

Does your Sonos controller device meet the requirements stated below:

• iOS 14 and higher
  • iPadOS 14 and higher
  • Android 8.0 and higher (Not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

Have you tried rebooting the router?

Have you tried resetting the Sonos App and permissions and connecting it back to the same Sonos system. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-the-sonos-app

Same issue. Play5 stopped working. Reset multiple times. Hard wired. Nothing. I have come to hate Sonos and I have 16 of them. Always a hassle to make them work….. 

Same answer as the post immediately before yours; contact Sonos support.