Answered

Play: 1 setup for 94 year old mom in retirement community; shared wifi doesn't support the device.

• 17 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello. There is no access to routers or AP’s in this retirement community and my 94 year old mom would really just like to listen to a little music on her Play One.

I do not know what to say to the IT people who are well-intentioned and helpful, in order to get them to help this process.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, David

icon

Best answer by buzz 17 October 2023, 04:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Take them the device, along with the instructions. They’ll need to figure out how it connects, and likely whitelist the device’s MAC in their router so it can connect….but they’ll need to figure that out. If they need to ask questions, have them call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. There just isn’t much you can ‘say’ that will help them work through what they do for a living. 

As a note, once this is set up, absolutely anyone who has a controller on the retirement home’s WiFi signal will have access to control the device. 

I suggest installing a travel router..

Badge +1

Hey -- tysm! I plan to do same, Bruce but I just wanted to prepare.

Buzz, my previous research, had suggested the travel router but Sonos support disparaged them. Happy to have any specifics, make, model, setup considerations...;-)

I’ve certainly used a travel router in a hotel situation where they required a log in to their ‘web’ signal, to great effect. Much easier and more protected to have my Sonos on my own network, rather than appearing on the hotel’s. 

Any sensible shared communal WiFi will have client isolation, which obviously breaks Sonos. And if by some chance it doesn’t, then any other resident can interfere with the listening experience. 

A separate router is therefore a no-brainer. I’ve no idea why Sonos Support disparaged the idea. I guess it wasn’t in the script.