Answered

Play:1 is found in S1 but cannot pair

• 17 November 2022
  • 9 replies

I have a Play:1 that cannot pair with my S1 system. I have tried to factory reset and it responds in the correct way ending with a flashing green LED.

I can then start the pairing in the S1 controller - the speaker is found and makes the paring sound after pressing Play/Pause + Vol+

Then it starts flashing amber for about 20 seconds and then goes to solid amber. It stays there for some minutes during which the Controller times out and says “Not connected”. Eventually the LED goes back to flashing green. 

I have tried the “alternative setup” using a ethernet cable - same behaviour.

Has anyone seen this before and is the a known fix?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 November 2022, 15:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Can the speaker play music before you attempt to pair?

By the way “Pairing” requires a second identical speaker. First, you must “Add” the Factory Reset speaker to your system.

@jeppesen,
Has the Play:1 been in use on the S1 system before? Has it perhaps been upgraded to S2 and requires downgrading to connect it to your S1 Household? If that is a possibility, then see this link to switch it to S1:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-from-s2-to-s1

Also ensure your mobile controller App meets the system requirements mentioned in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Can the speaker play music before you attempt to pair?

By the way “Pairing” requires a second identical speaker. First, you must “Add” the Factory Reset speaker to your system.

It seems I misused the term “pair”. I meant to describe the process of adding the speaker to my system. The speaker is not in any system at the moment thus is doesn’t play anything.

@jeppesen,
Has the Play:1 been in use on the S1 system before? Has it perhaps been upgraded to S2 and requires downgrading to connect it to your S1 Household? If that is a possibility, then see this link to switch it to S1:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-from-s2-to-s1

Also ensure your mobile controller App meets the system requirements mentioned in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

It has been in use in an S1 system before but as you suggest it was also updated to S2 before I realized my Connect wasn’t supported in S2. I downgraded the Play:1 to S1 from the S2 app and it reported the downgrade succesfull (“Your device is now ready to be connected to an S1 system”)

@jeppesen,

Perhaps try wiring the Connect ‘temporarily’ to your router and then try the setup of the Play:1 again, if no joy with that, then also try wiring the Play:1 to your router aswell and hopefully that might resolve the issue. If that does work, then see if they will both work on your WiFi when both are uncabled.

Is this PLAY:1 the only SONOS component in your system?

@jeppesen,

Perhaps try wiring the Connect ‘temporarily’ to your router and then try the setup of the Play:1 again, if no joy with that, then also try wiring the Play:1 to your router aswell and hopefully that might resolve the issue. If that does work, then see if they will both work on your WiFi when both are uncabled.

I have tried all sorts of combinations with the Play1 on wifi and cable and a Play3 in my system on wifi and cable - still the same result.

I can see the Play1 get’s an IP address but does not responds to ping (the other devices in the system do).

Thanks four all your suggestions in this forum - unfortunately I’m not getting anywhere (yet).

@jeppesen,

What make/model of router are you using?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jeppesen 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please turn off your router for at least 30 seconds and reboot your phone.

Once WiFi returns, wait another few minutes and try once more, and if the Play:1 still doesn’t add properly, please try using another phone/tablet, if you can.

If it’s still not working, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.