Answered

One room acting wierd

Badge +2

Hi all,

Been using Sonos for about 7 yrs now. Currently use it in 4 rooms in the house. Have a boost and all devices are static IP via binding.

In our master bedroom we have an Arc, SUB G2 and two Ones.

All working fine until today. App said 2 ONES offline. So reset them, re added, all well. Over the next few hours the sub and two ones fluctuated between offline and connected.

As of right now, it’s all working, one ONE is still showing as offline but it’s clearly not as there is audio coming out of it.

Any ideas????

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 March 2023, 21:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

Try rebooting the router and phone.

Badge +20

Sonos does not use static IPs, as this is set on the client side and there is no such facility to do this, you have to use DHCP but you can of course reserve IPs (bound to the MAC address) in the DHCP server for your Sonos hardware.

If you have used static IPs on other equipment which allows you to enter the details (on the client side) then do double check that any you have issued are not in the DHCP scope.

Badge +2

Sonos does not use static IPs, as this is set on the client side and there is no such facility to do this, you have to use DHCP but you can of course reserve IPs (bound to the MAC address) in the DHCP server for your Sonos hardware.

If you have used static IPs on other equipment which allows you to enter the details (on the client side) then do double check that any you have issued are not in the DHCP scope.

The IP’s are set in the router using the MAC address of each device. No device uses a static IP, IP addresses are assigned by DHCP. There is no duplication, so it’s not that.

Badge +2

Try rebooting the router and phone.

Done. It’s connected as stated, it’s producing sound from the system, just shows as disconnected in the app?

Badge +20

The IP’s are set in the router using the MAC address of each device. No device uses a static IP, IP addresses are assigned by DHCP. There is no duplication, so it’s not that.

In your OP you stated you are using static IPs!

Refrain from Factory Reset without further consult.

Likely there is a latency on your network, discovery of the players is too slow, and the controller times out. There are other possibilities.

Give us more detail about your SONOS system, and the network. Model numbers? Network switches? Wireless mesh points? What is wired? Wireless?

Badge +2

In your OP you stated you are using static IPs!

I am using static IPs. You said Sonos doesn’t use static IPs. Any device can use a static IP

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any device could use a static IP but only if the manufacturer builds in that capability, Sonos did not. There is nowhere in the Sonos setup where you can assign a device an IP address.

You must use a DHCP assigned IP address for your Sonos. DHCP offers either randomly assigned IP addresses or for specific MAC addresses to always be given the same IP. Call it reserved, and not static.

I am using static IPs. You said Sonos doesn’t use static IPs. Any device can use a static IP

This is new to us. In the SONOS controller, where have you defined the player’s static IP addresses?

Likely we are having a spat over definitions. If you are setting the address in the router’s DHCP table, this is usually known as a “reservation” and it’s a router option, not a SONOS option. Regardless, the result is the same -- you have control over the player’s IP address.

If the SONOS players are dynamically assigned an IP address, it is common for duplicates to develop during a SONOS firmware update. Reservations prevent this. In my opinion it is pointless to assign blame for this, especially because there is an easy, permanent fix. You’ll discover hundreds of discussions about this.

Badge +2

This is new to us. In the SONOS controller, where have you defined the player’s static IP addresses?

Likely we are having a spat over definitions. If you are setting the address in the router’s DHCP table, this is usually known as a “reservation” and it’s a router option, not a SONOS option. Regardless, the result is the same -- you have control over the player’s IP address.

If the SONOS players are dynamically assigned an IP address, it is common for duplicates to develop during a SONOS firmware update. Reservations prevent this. In my opinion it is pointless to assign blame for this, especially because there is an easy, permanent fix. You’ll discover hundreds of discussions about this.

I think what I originally said was perfectly clear, static addresses set via binding. Nothing strange about it. Every device in our house has a static address this way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What in the world is “binding” I’m not finding that.

Could you be meaning to say DHCP assignment?

Badge +2

What in the world is “binding” I’m not finding that.

Could you be meaning to say DHCP assignment?

Binding an IP to a MAC address is the same as DHCP assignment.