Answered

Not able to connect other Sonos speakers to wired Sonos

Hi,

I have a Sonos Play:5 (Gen2) in the kitchen which I have connected to LAN. Then I have a Soundbar, a sub and two One in the living room as a surround system.

As I understand, it should be possible to get other Sonos units to connect to a wired Sonos unit, but this seems not to be working with my system. I have tried to switch everything off, even the router, but the livingroom system wont connect to the wired unit.

Any advice from anyone?

Thank you.

Moderator edit: changed “Sonos 5” to “Sonos Play:5 (Gen2)” for clarity.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 28 April 2023, 19:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What happens if you pull the Ethernet from the Play 5?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Older Play 5’s are prone to wifi card failure, so that could be the problem. With a failed wifi card it could not initiate a Sonosnet. You could make a diagnostic and call Sonos.

Just a question though. How did you conclude the system did not shift to Sonosnet.

What happens if you pull the Ethernet from the Play 5?

It will reconnect to the wifi. I am trying to get all Sonos on Ethernet, since there are so many devices in the house using wifi.

Older Play 5’s are prone to wifi card failure, so that could be the problem. With a failed wifi card it could not initiate a Sonosnet. You could make a diagnostic and call Sonos.

Just a question though. How did you conclude the system did not shift to Sonosnet.

I can see what is wired and what is wireless on the UI for the router.

I will try to see if I can get one of the other units to create a Sonosnet.

How do I know if it creates a net?

Can I see that in the app?

Hi Sonos,

I have sent diagnostic report no. 1265525813.

Please advise if there is any issue, thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If all connect over WiFi but don’t communicate when one is wired I’d lean to a switch/router issue between the wired port and the WiFi.

In the About My System screen what does the Associated Product IP address show as you connect/disconnect the Ethernet?

If all connect over WiFi but don’t communicate when one is wired I’d lean to a switch/router issue between the wired port and the WiFi.

In the About My System screen what does the Associated Product IP address show as you connect/disconnect the Ethernet?

Hi Stanley_4,

the Associated Product IP changes from the Play:5 IP and to the Playbar IP. 

Seems like the wifi card on the Play:5 is working since it is connecting to the wifi network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The best way to see if Sonosnet is active would be to check the WM status: https://support.sonos.com/en/article/check-if-sonos-is-in-a-wireless-or-wired-setup#

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m really leaning towards a switch/router issue here. Seems like everything is working but the communications between the Ethernet and WiFi.

Could you run a temp Ethernet to the PlayBar?

I’m really leaning towards a switch/router issue here. Seems like everything is working but the communications between the Ethernet and WiFi.

Could you run a temp Ethernet to the PlayBar?

After connecting the Playbar to Ethernet, all speakers are connected through Ethernet. They are all WM0, i.e. in a wired setup. Non connected to the wifi on the router.

I had misunderstood something as I thought it was not possible to use a system set in surround or entertainment as wired, but is think it is for the additional units in the surround system.

why does it not work to setup with play:5? Some settings in the router?

Thank you for the help both!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Might be time to set things up both ways and send several diagnostics, one from each setup to Sonos and then call to get them to look at the internal data we can’t see.

You are correct, surrounds and Subs shouldn’t be used as wired connection providers but the main surround unit (Beam, Arc etc.) are fine.