Skip to main content
Answered

No Sound from One SLs in 5.1

• 4 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I recently bought a Beam Gen 2 and Sub Mini. Then added 2 x Sonos One SLs as surrounds a couple weeks later. I mainly use this setup to game on a PS5 and for this everything works fine and it's been brilliant. However, for movies and TV (that support 5.1 audio) there is no sound coming from the One SLs, only a quiet static noise. I've tried content from Freeview, Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and nothing makes use of the One SLs.

I've checked that the Sonos app shows it's in 5.1 mode when watching content and I've attached photos from the app with my system's info. I am using an LG C9 OLED TV, which is set to HDMI ARC with eArc on (and bitstream format for HDMI in when using the PS5).

Weirdly, if I try the same streaming services through the PS5 I also get the same problem but as mentioned, games make full use of the One SLs.

I understand the Beam Gen 2 can support 5 channels of audio by itself and my suspicion is this is getting prioritised over the using One SLs.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I would first try power-cycling your TV, Arc, Sub & Surrounds. When done goto the TV Settings/Sound/Sound-Out and set the Digital Sound Out to ‘Pass-through’ and just cycle eARC ‘off’ and then ‘on’ again and give it 5 seconds or so between switching/toggling those settings.

If you have wired the Arc to the network, then just ensure you have not toggled ‘off’ the WiFi adapter on the Arc as that adapter is needed to communicate with the surrounds and sub. 

If the issues persist after that try reseating your HDMI cable between the Arc and the TV’s HDMI -2 port or maybe try a different HDMI cable (1.4+ cable with heac support is required).

If no luck after trying those things, then It maybe best to submit a system diagnostic and either note/post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the issue.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the detailed reply. A factory reset did it in the end - should probably have tried that before posting!

Cheers