Answered

multiple sonos products not in sync

• 25 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi..

I will try my best to explain my setup and my issue . English is not my first language .

Just to rule out Wi-Fi problems I will tell you download speed tested near the speakers. in living room tested 95 mbps. Dining room 77 mbps. Kitchen 93 mbps. All speakers are up to date. Spotify are up to date. 

I have 2 sonos play5 gen.2 Paired in stereo and sub gen. 3 in the living room. It have been playing whiteout issues. 
Now I have added a sonos move and a Sonos one Sl, to supplement sound in the dining room and in the kitchen. 
I mainly use Spotify for music streaming. 
My problem is, when I play a song on Spotify, it takes 25-30 seconds before all speakers starts playing. It doesn’t matter if I use Spotify or the Sonos app to start playing the music. After 30 seconds all speakers play in sync fine. But the real problem is, when I skip to next number the sound disappears in the kitchen and the dining room and it takes 30 seconds before all speakers play again. 
From my perspective it’s a software issue, because when I let the song play and it skips to next number naturally, there is no problem, all speakers playing without any delay. 

Have anyone got a similar problem or do you know a solution to my problem ? 

icon

Best answer by ratty 26 December 2023, 12:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I do not have the issue, but it sounds like you have WiFi network interference… maybe see if this link will assist you: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference

Thank you for the reply. 
I have played around with network settings. I found out that the one and move was on the 2,4ghz channel, so I changed them to 5ghz channel. But it didn’t make any difference. I also changed the channels in the router settings, but no different. 
I placed all speakers in the same room right next to the router, but still the same problem. 

After all this playing around, I found temporary fix to the problem. I found out that I turn the speakers on in different order, the problem goes away. If I start playing music in the living room (play 5 stereo and sub) and connects the one and the move, the problem is constant, the move stops playing every time I skip to next track. 

But when I start playing in kitchen or the dining room and connects the living room last. Then all speakers stays in sync when I skip track. 

This just confirms my first conclusion that is is software related, or maybe some integration between Sonos and spotify

I will contact Sonos support after the holidays

@KristianBruun,

What are your wireless network settings at the moment (can you state the WiFi channels and channel-width for each band). In fact describing the network setup would perhaps be helpful… make/model of router and mention any switches or other wireless access points etc.

I’ve not heard about any related Sonos software issues or issues involving Spotify so I suspect it’s still something local as Spotify is working okay here across grouped devices. 

When you put the speakers in the same room next to each other what distances were they from the router and each other?

I found out that I turn the speakers on in different order, the problem goes away. If I start playing music in the living room (play 5 stereo and sub) and connects the one and the move, the problem is constant, the move stops playing every time I skip to next track. 

But when I start playing in kitchen or the dining room and connects the living room last. Then all speakers stays in sync when I skip track. 

This just confirms my first conclusion that is is software related, or maybe some integration between Sonos and spotify

It’s much more likely to be network related. The first room in any group has the “Group Coordinator” node. This is the device responsible for fetching the stream and distributing it to the other group members. Its network connection is therefore put under additional strain. The reported symptoms are consistent with connections being choked as buffers attempt to fill when a new track is started.

In a pair the left unit is usually the Group Coordinator, so the initial suspicion is that the left Play:5 is suffering from some local interference. What’s it next to?