Skip to main content

I was using my Play 1s in a stereo pair under S1 App, they kept disappearing and twice I had to factory reset to get them to reappear. This happened again recently and I have been unable to add them back in.

I had resisted moving to S2 App as I had an older Connect which was not S2 compatible. Having recently removed this and replaced with another (non-Sonos device) I decided maybe S2 would sort my Play 1 problem. How wrong could I be. Now I can get to a stage where I see there is a Play 1 device to configure and go through the steps until it tells me I need to update the device. (BTW it won’t connect via ethernet will only be seen if disconnected from wire network) I proceed and it askes to set up temp wireless connection and starts the update process, I can see from my phone that it is connected to a temp wireless network and uses 4G to connect to the Internet, Play 1 has flashing green light. After about 30 minutes the Play 1 starts to flash orange and my phone is reconnected to my intenal wireless network.

Can’t get beyond this, tried rebooting router, direct wired, factory reset on Play 1. Totally frustrated and thinking of junking the whole lot. Very disillusioned with Sonos having seen that there have been major issues reported with the new S2 App for the last month and angry that they haven’t ceased its roll out.

Any advice and help aprat from get a sledge hammer and crush what are currently very expensive paperweights would be appreciated.

For information 

• Router is Archer VR2800, I have reserved IP addresses for Sonos devices
  • Phone is Samsung Galaxy A15 running Android 14
  • Other devices are Connect and Playbar both Ethernet wired

Cheers

Oh and have been waiting on Support line for 1hour 47 minutes, Sonos I don’t think this is good enough fopr a supposedly premium product.

Eventually (after a 2 hour wait) spoke to a Sonos support lady who was fantastic and helped to resolve the issue.

Before you start, make sure you have the following:

1. Access to Ethernet connection(s) for the Play1s
  2. the S1 App on your phone or other Android / iOS device
  3. Your Sonos Account ID & password
  4. NAS Acount ID & Password. 
  5. Lots of patience, but if you have found this you will already have reached the end of your tether
  6. A nice cup of tes or coffee.

In summary we had to do the following:

1. Do Factory Reset  on both Play1s (power them up whilst pressing the play / pause button and holding it until the LED flashed white / orange)
  2. Switch off any other Sonos kit that was already upgraded to S2 version of OS
  3. Force Stop the S2 App
  4. Power up one of the Play1s and wait until you get flashing green light
  5. Open the S1 App on your phone and then, reset the S1 App and exited the app
  6. Restart S1 App
  7. Set up a new system
  8. Add a Play1 (this initially would not work with Wireless so connected to Ethernet) do not worry about the name you use as you are going to factory reset further on.
  9. When this was added went into settings and went into compatibility check on the Play1 and did an upgrade on them.
  10. Installed the S1 Windows App and when I linked to the Play1s it goes though an OS upgrade.
  11. Uplugged the Play1s and do factory reset (see above) and power down again - Repeat from 4 for the other Play1
  12. Powered back on the other Sonos kit that was already upgraded to S2 OS
  13. Go back into S2 App and Reset it, you do this by going into account (icon next to the settings cog) select App Preferences and select Reset App near the bottom of the screen, and then exit
  14. Restart S2 App, 
  15. Link to my Sonos  System
  16. Power up one Play 1 wait for green light to flash before proceeding
  17. Go into settings and add speaker
  18. Give the speaker a name  don’t worry about the name you use.
  19. Repeat for the other Play1 from 16
  20. Then stereo paired them
  21. I then had to re-link to my NAS for my music library as the system had lsot the connection to the NAS.

I think that is the full sequence, wrote this up immediately after I got off hte call with Sonos Support so hopefully I have captured all of the steps.

Big thanks again to the lady on Sonos support desk who spent the best part of 1.5 hours going through all of this with me.