Answered

Inability to Play Music Stored on My Phone on My Play 1 and One XL - I Feel Abandoned!

• 14 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Dear Sonos,

I am bitterly disappointed that you've taken away my ability to play music stored on my phone directly to my Sonos Play 1 and  Sonos SL One wireless speakers. The only reason I bought Sonos wireless speakers over any other speaker was to have that ability and now it’s no more. Sonos has decided to put relationships with 3rd party streaming apps like Spotify and Apple Music over an individuals’ ability to play music stored on their phone. I don’t want a streaming music subscription., I don’t want any 3rd party apps. I just want to stream my music which I’ve stored on my phone for decades. Besides, the music I love does not exist on these 3rd party streaming apps. There is no reason why Sonos cannot accommodate both preferences - play music stored on one’s phone and the streaming brigade. These two things are not mutually exclusive. Why sacrifice one for the other. I have decided thar I will return all my Sonos speakers for a refund, including the Play 1 speaker I bought in 2018. (Sic). I need a refund from you (even though I purchased from Best Buy), because your product no longer provides the services for which it was advertised. False Marketing!!!

Devastated!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 December 2023, 00:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Wasn't Sonos' choice.  Google made it impossible to access the content on an Android phone via 3rd party hardware because of security issues.  Nothing Sonos can do about it, so go complain to Google.

@Loutech 

This was a change that Google made, quite some time ago now. There are various threads on the topic online, including one, or two, in this community too.

Anyhow, you could simply use a compatible UPnP/DLNA player App to play the music stored on the Android mobile device to the Sonos speakers on the same network subnet - if you search the community, or research elsewhere online, you should find Apps that some others are already using to do this. It’s not something though I have personally researched, as I tend to use iOS/Airplay devices instead.