Answered

i lose my speakers with every sonos update

• 23 February 2023
  • 8 replies

I just got the new Sonos update today and just like every other time - what should be a simple 3 minute download - has become a nightmare of rebooting and re adding every speaker in the house.  With each update my speakers will error out on the update download and disappear off of my system.  I never had issues like this with my previous Bose system.  It is starting to become a bit maddening at the rate that updates are sent out.  People suggest not updating but shouldn’t an update just work without causing havoc each time with your system?  The constant Sonos response of rebooting and re adding everything isn’t a solution to the root of the problem.  For reference I have the home theater set up with beam gen 2, sub mini and two one sl speakers, sonos move and then other Sonos one SL speakers in other rooms. Any suggestions other than reboot and don’t download updates would be helpful.  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 February 2023, 20:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I’d be looking at setting reserved IP addresses for all your network devices in the router’s DHCP table, instructions should be in the manual for the router. I don’t have experience with the BOSE, but the Sonos does reboot the speaker when there is a software update, so it will request a new IP address from the router. If the router has gotten into an odd state, and is handing IPs already I use, the Sonos would be fighting with another device in order to show up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I second the static/reserved IP suggestion, it took my system from a nightmare at updates or power failures to happily surviving both.

I know that you don’t want to hear the “reboot” word again, but this may be necessary in order to get your network straightened out. After this reboot, “reserve” IP addresses in your router and I don’t think that we will ever meet again like this.

Or, if you don’t want to reboot for some reason, wait a few days and the router might work through the addressing issue on it’s own. At that time you should reserve IP addresses. Notice that I said “might”.

Back in 2005 I encountered this issue and reserved IP addresses. I haven’t had a similar issue since then -- unless I forget to reserve the IP address of a newly added device.

I appreciate the advice from you all and I have gone into my orbi system and reserved the IP addresses for the Sonos speakers.  Interested to see how they behave on the next system update.  Thanks again.

Are any of your SONOS units wired to the network? Mesh networks, such as ORBI, can introduce extra issues for SONOS to navigate. Wiring one or more SONOS units to the network will prevent these issues.

I have tried to hard wire the beam but I haven’t had any luck getting it to move off of the WiFi.  If this doesn’t work I will focus on that next.

Sometimes, a simple power cycle / reboot is enough to get a device to move from one connection method to the other. 

Wire a SONOS unit to the base ORBI. If the network connection is working, SONOS will automatically move to “SonosNet”, the SONOS private wireless mesh network. After making the connection, allow a couple minuets for SONOS to work through the new configuration details.

Note that ROAM and MOVE are always WiFi. BEAM will use a private 5GHz wireless connection to surround speakers and subwoofer(s). The router is aware of this private connection, but it is not WiFi.

Go to Settings → System → About My Sonos System. WM: 0 indicates a wired or wireless SonosNet connection, WM: 1 is a WiFi connection.