I found a workaround for accessing your music/playlists via itunes (on APPLE) after new update to Sonos

Userlevel 1

So granted, it’s pretty specific, and I’m sure will not apply to everyone, BUT I figure there is enough people that this may help and I know how important being able to access my music/playlists is to me… and how disappointing Sonos lack of concern for this issue has been... that I figured I’d share for whatever it’s worth… Hope I help a few people…I have been rocking out to my playlists all day and not being forced to use Sonos Radio to hear any music!! YAY!

So after the latest update I was unable to access ANY of my music on my APPLE laptop, I tried numerous things and nothing worked.  But today found this workaround using my Sonos Beam.

1. Open itunes
  2. Look for the symbol in the upper right corner with a triangle and multiple circles, coming out of it, aka Airplay
  3. Click that
  4. For me, it opens items that are “synced” with my computer, so my Roku comes up, my Apple TV and…. my Sonos Beam that I also use for my TV’s sound.
  5. When I click to check ✔ the Sonos speaker (labeled “Family Room” for me) and then click to play a song in a playlist, the sonos speaker started playing the song!! 
  6. I then went into Sonos app on my computer and grouped all my speakers to that one speaker and song and…. TAH DA!  I can play my music again, including specific songs and playlists through this workaround!

You can use the Sonos app (on computer and phone) to control volume but the rest, you basically have to do through your laptop.  So not a perfect solution, definitely a work around… but for now, as I shared, I am able to play my music again!!  PLUS, it’s pretty easy/simple to do the steps above!  GOOD LUCK!!

3 replies

Userlevel 7

FYI… you are using AirPlay.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/stream-airplay-audio-to-sonos

Userlevel 1

Thank you!  I knew it had a name but couldn’t remember it as I was writing… updated my post! 

It’s been a great work-around for me, for now...

Yes, I did the same thing but, it’s a shame how Sonos removed just about all the services that you don’t have to pay for and kept the ones you have to pay a fee for….