Answered

I am fed up

• 30 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I am sick of Sonos and wish I hadn’t invested so much.  The speakers are fantastic, but the software interface is awful.  We are constantly losing connection to speakers.  Speakers not being found. Speakers are dropping out.  Volumes changing.  

And before you start telling me it is the wifi connection - it isn’t.  That is stable, and we don’t have any problems with anything else.  

I want proper help and don’t want to be given the runaround.  

D

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 December 2023, 13:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I want proper help and don’t want to be given the runaround.  

Have you tried Sonos Support, following the submission of a system diagnostic?

Here we’re mostly user-to-user, so to offer assistance we’d need to start with a description of your network because…

And before you start telling me it is the wifi connection - it isn’t.  That is stable, and we don’t have any problems with anything else.  

The vast majority of issues are to do with the local network. Simply being able to use a phone on WiFi to connect to the internet is not much of a guide as to the wellbeing of a Sonos system.

To my knowledge, no one here ‘gives the runaround’. Networking is complex, and often there can be more than a single answer to a symptom. 

All of your symptoms described point to connection issues. Unlike every other device on your network, Sonos uses it in a very different, and much more taxing way, making it more sensitive to issues that may not show up in other connections. 

Your signal may be strong in your network, but that doesn’t affect other network issues such as duplicate IP addresses. Have you tried to contact Sonos Support about your issues?

Certainly, as a first step, I’d power off all Sonos devices, and reboot your router. Give the router a couple  minutes to boot back up before plugging back in your Sonos. Note, if this fixes your issues, you’d be wise to look in to how to set up reserved IP addresses in your router. Any router that has gotten in to a ‘bad’ state once has the potential to do so again.

I’d also review the wifi interference FAQ. While it may not impact other connections, the data flow to Sonos devices, and between Sonos devices can be more sensitive. 

Finally, ease up on the attitude. When you come asking for assistance, there’s really no need to suggest that people in this forum don’t provide ‘proper help’. That could have led to no response here in the forums at all, and left you to deal with Sonos Support, who gets paid to deal with that sort of pugnacious conversation. And while there are many good people at the Support phone center, some of them may not be Sonos users, with the same deeper understanding of how this system works. 

SONOS requires more robust local network support than simple web browsing or email. Delaying an email for a few milliseconds is no big deal, but delaying an audio feed in a Group of players for even a single millisecond is disruptive. If the players are starved for data they will mute, rather than blasting an incoherent noise.