Answered

How to remove speakers from your system?

• 2 January 2023
  • 23 replies

I changed my configuration and removed some speakers from my system. 

When I turned them off they stayed in the app and there was only the option to “hide” them, but it didn’t work. 

I checked this board for the steps but didn’t find a solution, I just went through it with chat support and the below method worked. 

1. Factory reset the speaker
  2. Open the sonos app
  3. A popup will come asking you to “Add” this “new speaker
  4. Close out of the pop-up, don’t add it. 
  5. Restart the app. 

This worked for me, the old speaker is now gone from the app. 

The speaker I did it on was a roam.

I wish I had known this before I shipped the other one I had and sold because apparently, I have to wait for that one to be activated by another user before it can be removed from my app. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 4 January 2023, 10:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @fr_nick 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for sharing that tip. Incidentally, the device would have been automatically removed after a timeout. How long has the previous speaker been gone for?

I wish I had known this before I shipped the other one I had and sold because apparently, I have to wait for that one to be activated by another user before it can be removed from my app. 

That is incorrect. It needs to be activated by another user to make it disappear from your online Sonos account. It will disappear from your app without this.

Hi John, 

Maybe you could try this method on your own system and report the results because what I posted is what I did and it worked for me.

It only worked for the unit that I had on hand, but it did remove it from the app.

It was there, and now it’s gone. 

HI Cory,

I guess the Roam was out of my system for about a week, that’s the one I manually removed.

I have one that is still showing on the app that I shipped in late december. I’m looking at the app now, it says “not connected”

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @fr_nick 

Late December is quite recent - I’m sure the unit will be dropped from your Sonos app soon. It will stay registered with your account until re-registered to a new account, as mentioned by @John B.

@Corry P  it disappeared today, you are a sonos psychic 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @fr_nick 

Haha! I used to be able to predict the arrival of a pizza delivery within 10 seconds or so - before the driver tracking features were available - so you might not be wrong!

Thanks for updating the thread!

I sit in awe. ;)

As psychic predictions go, arriving pizza beats departing speakers any day.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same issue but the ‘wait for re-registration’ fix won’t work in my case. My Roam died and was returned to Sonos. I will receive a new unit. 

I could hide the dead speaker but then presumably I will have to give the replacement a new name. 

Why is there only a Hide button and it two buttons. Hide and Remove? 

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @abr2021 

I don’t think having a hidden Roam with a particular name will prevent you from having a new Roam with the same name.

In addition, it’s possible the Roam you returned will, in time, be repaired, refurbished, and registered to a new user, in which case it will indeed be removed from your system forever. Even if not, I don’t think it will take long for you to forget all about it.

I think a Remove button would imply somehow that the speaker would no longer be registered to you, which would not be the case - whether this is the reason there isn’t one or not, I don’t know. The Hide button is fairly new itself, as offline speakers used to disappear from the app entirely, whereas they now show as “Not Connected”.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks, @Corry P 

I held off until my replacement arrived.  The replacement, as expected, shows up on the system as a brand new speaker and so went through the easy first time setup procedure.  

But I was then able to give it the same name as my previously hidden one.  No issues at all. So the Hide functionality dealt with the failed+replacement product scenario perfectly.

Andy

Well, I just got a “certified Refurbished” ROAM under warranty.  Had same issue with wanting to remove the old Roam from my system.  CHAT tech said I could only “HIDE”, so I did.  Then I came here and found this thread.  I was not going to register this warrantied ROAM since it does not come with a new warranty.  But, after reading this thread, I will register it so it will drops off someone else’s system.

I had a Roam fail and be sent back under warranty. Now I can’t remove the old one. No new user is going to register it unless Sonos claims registration of this.

@Sonos, bet you didn’t think about that use case before not providing the option to remove?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It will drop from your system in the app, but probably not from the list of devices in your profile on the Sonos website. Why would you care about this?

Simply amazed at how hard Sonos makes it to manage your own stuff.  Why can you not just remove a speaker from your own profile? Why does Sonos have control over that and not the owner?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why would you care there's still an old speaker on a profile on the Sonos website?

Why would you care there's still an old speaker on a profile on the Sonos website?

Three words - Oh, Cee, Dee.

I have the same issue, I purchased a couple of Era 100 surrounds but returned them to the store to get the Era 300’s. The ones I returned are still showing up in profile as Offline.  I can only hide them.  This seems odd for speakers I do not own.  Any solutions?

I have the same issue, I purchased a couple of Era 100 surrounds but returned them to the store to get the Era 300’s. The ones I returned are still showing up in profile as Offline.  I can only hide them.  This seems odd for speakers I do not own.  Any solutions?

If/when the returned speakers are added to another users Sonos profile they will disappear from your list. Their presence in your profile, as previous owner, has no impact on how your Sonos system continues to work.

The problem is I’m running 35 Sonos devices on my Eero Pro 6E (a major wi-fi upgrade from Orbi BTW). Limit is supposed to be 32 but 35 are running. I can’t run 36. I tried. I bought two Era 100’s to see if they were better than One’s (they are, better bass and highs for sure by about 25%). After replacing the two One’s and installing the Era 100’s my system has been in a world of hurt. Everything drops everytime a song changes. So I’m going to have to seperate my master bedroom surround system, the bathroom ones and another room that has a sound bar and ones to another seperate system on my one Eero system. Hope it works. Pain in the butt. First world problems but sure wish expansion was easier. Oh, the problem is that without removing the old one’s by factory reset I’m no over the limit of Sonos devices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Speakers appearing in your Sonos account/profile is completely different to appearing in your Sonos system (in the App) .  If they're not switched on, they won't and can't appear as ‘live’ devices in the App (they can linger a little after power down but an App restart will cure that). Maybe there's a limit to devices you can reserve IP addresses for etc., in which case simply remove any Sonos devices you no longer have completely from the Eero system. However, there is a limit of 32 Sonos devices you can have in any one system/’Household’ - but that isn't the issue being discussed here. You can have more than one Household on a network though, but they can't interact with each other.  No need to treat them differently network-wise though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I haven’t had to replace any Sonos recently but if I was going to I think I’d try resetting them and then adding them to a different account using a throw-away e-mail to see if that cleared them off my list.