Answered

how do wireless speakers get powered

• 29 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Do all wireless speakers require a plug in to a wall outlet for power.    Are there any battery options and if so how do they perform

icon

Best answer by buzz 29 August 2023, 18:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Do you mean Sonos speakers, or all speakers?

Sonos has two battery powered devices, the Sonos Move and the Sonos Roam. Each has their specific restrictions, you may want to read up on the Sales Page about them.

Opinions vary as to battery life, this forum being a ‘hospital’ environment, you’d likely get skewed information, and frankly, batteries are variable based on usage. I’ve never had an issue with my Roam, but then I don’t tax it much, either. And Sonos sells, I think, a replacement battery for the Move, but again, the environment and usage will dictate much more as to whether you’ll need to do a replacement at some point or not. 

Note that the battery operated SONOS speakers cannot be used for surrounds.

I was wondering more about the ceiling mounted speakers or something more permeant than the Roam and Move.  Ie wall mounted or ceiling mounted.

How do those get power?  Speaking of Sonos products only.

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

How do those get power?

From a wall outlet.

In-wall or in-ceiling speakers are connected to a SONOS AMP. Other speakers would mount on brackets, and while they would connect to the music wirelessly, they would require a power outlet.

I don’t recommend designing a system with locations that use battery powered speakers. Every few days, you’ll need to tend to the battery charge. Initially, this might seem like a big win because there would be no wires, but battery charging will eventually become an unwelcome chore and a haphazard wire for the charger will appear.

Note that in wall/ceiling speakers are not technically made by Sonos, but instead through a partnership with Sonance. As @buzz suggests, they’re all powered in a Sonos context by the Sonos Amp.