Help with 5s

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 67 replies

Hello, I have two 5s and a one sl in our living room. I just ordered a one, to finish off the room. The room is 40’ x 12’ and I am going to put the speakers up high, about 6.5’-7’ up. Which way will I want the 5s positioned, landscape or portrait, I want the volume paired so when I turn the volume up, all the 5s and ones stay the same, without have to adjust each. I don't really care if they are paired in stereo though. I have a one sl and a move each is in its own room. We generally have the same music playing through the whole house. But need the volumes for each at different levels. I want the living room to be blanketed in sound though. It is just for music, not tv. Here is a rough diagram of what the room looks like and where I was thinking of putting everything. The main concern is changing the speakers in this room equally at the same time, and whether the 5s need to be in portrait or landscape and if it matters. The blue object are sofas and chairs. Thanks

19 replies

When you Group Rooms there is an overall Volume control, but if you click or touch the overall control, individual controls will pop-up.

Each Speaker or pair of speakers is a “Room”.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

When you Group Rooms there is an overall Volume control, but if you click or touch the overall control, individual controls will pop-up.

Each Speaker or pair of speakers is a “Room”.

Ok thanks. With the height and distance should I stereo pair or leave everything individual? And should I get a mount to have the 5s in portrait or landscape?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With that setup I’d not try for stereo Pairs if you are trying to fill the room.

You might try the 5s both ways, horizontal you should get a tiny bit of stereo sound, vertical you’d get mono. It always comes down to what do your ears like best.

You might want to point the 5s at the center of the room, cut down on wall reflections and give you a smoother sound field. The Ones, being further from the side wall might see less improvement from this but if you get a pivoting mount it is easy to try.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since you will be grouping the One's and the Five's remember the group will break with a restart of the system. You you will need to regroup after an update to the system. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

With that setup I’d not try for stereo Pairs if you are trying to fill the room.

You might try the 5s both ways, horizontal you should get a tiny bit of stereo sound, vertical you’d get mono. It always comes down to what do your ears like best.

You might want to point the 5s at the center of the room, cut down on wall reflections and give you a smoother sound field. The Ones, being further from the side wall might see less improvement from this but if you get a pivoting mount it is easy to try.

I ordered pivoting mounts for everything. The sonos mounts for the ones and flexson mounts for the 5s. The flexson mounts I ordered were for vertical mounting. But I’m reaching out to them to see if I can swap the order for horizontal. 

What if I put each speaker in the center of each wall. The 5s center on the short wall, ones centered on the long one? Would that fill the room better? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Ok, I was wrong, the room is 28’x12’. Why I thought it was 40 I have no idea. 

I currently have it set up so that a 5 and a one are in the bottom corners of the above picture, and that a 5 is directly in front of the sofa at a weird angle, next to the chair. The wife wants all of this stuff off the furniture and out of the way, so that is why I want to mount it on the wall. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Center wall mounting will have weaker low frequencies compared to corner mounting. You will probably want all the low end you can get.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

So I got the one today, along with the mounting hardware and got them placed close to the corners. 

The mounts for the 5s arrive soon. If they’re horizontal will they play in stereo or is the only if they’re vertical and paired?

There are three sections inside a FIVE: woofer in the center and two independent tweeters, one on each side. A single, horizontal FIVE will play in stereo (left and right tweeter) and the sonic image will a little broader than a single mono speaker, but you will not be aware of much L/R separation unless you are very close to the speaker. When the FIVE’s are stereo paired there will be a left and right speaker. In addition, the inside tweeter on each FIVE will play it’s channel a little quieter. This improves the overall sonic image compared to a traditional speaker where all tweeters would run at the same level.

In the vertical orientation each FIVE will run it’s tweeters at the same level.

If you prefer pinpoint sonic imaging, vertical orientation with the speakers about as far from each other as the listener is from the speakers is the better approach. If you want a broad wash of music, then the corner placement as you have shown is a good approach. For the broad approach I suggest reversing left and right at each end of the room.

You must decide which orientation sounds “best” (to you).

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

There are three sections inside a FIVE: woofer in the center and two independent tweeters, one on each side. A single, horizontal FIVE will play in stereo (left and right tweeter) and the sonic image will a little broader than a single mono speaker, but you will not be aware of much L/R separation unless you are very close to the speaker. When the FIVE’s are stereo paired there will be a left and right speaker. In addition, the inside tweeter on each FIVE will play it’s channel a little quieter. This improves the overall sonic image compared to a traditional speaker where all tweeters would run at the same level.

In the vertical orientation each FIVE will run it’s tweeters at the same level.

If you prefer pinpoint sonic imaging, vertical orientation with the speakers about as far from each other as the listener is from the speakers is the better approach. If you want a broad wash of music, then the corner placement as you have shown is a good approach. For the broad approach I suggest reversing left and right at each end of the room.

You must decide which orientation sounds “best” (to you).

I think I got them set, with the FIVES still down low, how I like them. I’m sure I’ll have to change things once they’re mounted

I like the idea on a five and one, one being a left the other being a right on the same wall  

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

So I installed them vertically, paired the one/sl and the fives. Each wall has a left/right speaker. I’m not happy with all the cords hanging everywhere, but it sounds really good. I think it still needs a sub though. It’s a full sound. Jazz, red dirt, and rock n roll all sound good across it. 

When I installed Sonos Ones on the wall (in the corners) of my breakfast nook, I ended up having an electrician install power outlets near the speakers, so that I didn’t need to see the power cords hanging down. Others might have hidden the cables in a cable chase, or even painted the power cables the same color as the wall, so they would blend in. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

When I installed Sonos Ones on the wall (in the corners) of my breakfast nook, I ended up having an electrician install power outlets near the speakers, so that I didn’t need to see the power cords hanging down. Others might have hidden the cables in a cable chase, or even painted the power cables the same color as the wall, so they would blend in. 

I got this cable kit for the one near drywall. The rest though are on solid wood logs. 

well it went let me upload the picture. It’s an in wall cable kit. A hole near the speaker, another near the outlet and a short cord runs to both

In California, where I had this setup, running a ‘standard’ power cable behind a wall was against building codes, as they are not designed for that sort of use. But perhaps what you’re unable to upload does have an appropriate ‘behind the wall’ cable. Who makes this? I’ve always wanted something like that for not only Sonos speaker use, but potentially for TV use as well. 

Sonos sells them.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sanus-in-wall-power-kit-for-all-in-one-speakers

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sanus-in-wall-cable-kit-for-soundbars-and-tvs

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I have one of those mentioned above, have not installed it yet. Want to make sure I like the speaker where it is first. 

Note that it says :

Designed to comply with the National Electrical Code, NFPA70. Local codes may vary. The product was safety tested by ETL to UL498 and UL514C regulatory specifications.

Glad to see these available, they’re a nice change from spending the money for an electrician ;)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

So I installed them up high, they sound really good. I sta stereo paired the 5s and the ones, but each wall has a left and a right of one out the other. I like how it sounds.