help needed!

• 17 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi all, I've had a Sonos system with 3 Sonos One's working for years without any real issues. We recently switched to Fibre which meant having our router on an outside wall, thanks to a breeze block built house we then needed an Amazon Eero mesh system to get any signal outside of the kitchen! 

Now none of our Sonos speakers will connect and it's driving me insane! I've tried switching the router to Bridge mode, pausing the 5ghz signals and buying a boost to run them all on Sonos Net but every time when trying to add the speakers again I only get as far as "connecting to your Sonos One" then it says unable to connect. 

Tech support told me to ring my internet provider who told me about the pausing 5ghz signal thing but it's still not working. It's like there's a WiFi setting which is blocking it from adding the speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Try temporarily connecting an Ethernet cable from the main hub to a speaker. 

"my internet provider who told me about the pausing 5ghz signal thing"

What pausing 5Ghz thing? … not sure I’ve ever heard of this with Eero?

How did you first add the Boost to your original Sonos setup? Did you begin by wiring another Sonos device …and if so, where did you wire the other Sonos device to?

If the ISP provided router is in ‘bridge’ mode, then just ensure its WiFi adapters have been disabled and that the Eero primary hub is the only thing wired to that bridged device. Also just ensure there is only one DHCP server on the Eero subnet, just in case.

Hey thanks for the replies

So there is a setting in Eero under Troubleshooting for devices which are 2.4ghz only. The description says “I have a device that can find my network, but it won’t connect”. This gives me the option of pausing 5GHz for 10 minutes but hasn’t seemed to make a difference in this case. 

My original Sonos set up now doesn’t exist as they have all been factory reset, I’ve then connected the Boost to the Eero which has connected straight away. 

So the ISP Modem only has an Eero connected to it at the moment and the Eero is set to Bridge mode but I can’t see an option to check whether the WiFi adapters have been disabled. I’m also not sure how to check the DHCP server 

I’ve also tried the one speaker wired to the Eero but that only worked as long as it was on the wire, as soon as another speaker was added which wasn’t wired in it didn’t work anymore. 

(sorry for the non-technical language I’m way out of my comfort zone!!) 

So there is a setting in Eero under Troubleshooting for devices which are 2.4ghz only. The description says “I have a device that can find my network, but it won’t connect”. This gives me the option of pausing 5GHz for 10 minutes but hasn’t seemed to make a difference in this case. 

My original Sonos set up now doesn’t exist as they have all been factory reset, I’ve then connected the Boost to the Eero which has connected straight away. 

So the ISP Modem only has an Eero connected to it at the moment and the Eero is set to Bridge mode but I can’t see an option to check whether the WiFi adapters have been disabled. I’m also not sure how to check the DHCP server 

I’ve also tried the one speaker wired to the Eero but that only worked as long as it was on the wire, as soon as another speaker was added which wasn’t wired in it didn’t work anymore. 

Note there are two types of ‘bridge’ to consider for your setup - one is where the modem/router supplied by your ISP is ‘bridged’ and so just behaves similar to a modem and it just lets the WAN connection (internet) pass-through to your Eero ‘primary’ mesh hub. That Hub then is the router for the Home network. 

Or you can ‘bridge’ the Eero Hubs to your ISP modem/router and so it still acts as a router and the Eero Hubs (one (or more) of which must be wired to your router) takes over the wireless network for the Home… they become wireless access points only.

In both of these different types of setup, you ideally should disable the WiFi on the ISP provided modem/router. 

Anyhow, the first helpful thing to establish here, is which setup from the above two, are you using and which device is the Boost cabled to? Note too, that the Boost must be set at least one metre away from the device it’s wired to and any other Wireless access point.

If you can post back a little more detail, either I or someone else in the community can maybe offer you some things to try.

Note there are two types of ‘bridge’ to consider for your setup - one is where the modem/router supplied by your ISP is ‘bridged’ and so just behaves similar to a modem and it just lets the WAN connection (internet) pass-through to your Eero ‘primary’ mesh hub. That Hub then is the router for the Home network. 

Or you can ‘bridge’ the Eero Hubs to your ISP modem/router and so it still acts as a router and the Eero Hubs (one (or more) of which must be wired to your router) takes over the wireless network for the Home… they become wireless access points only.

In both of these different types of setup, you ideally should disable the WiFi on the ISP provided modem/router. 

Anyhow, the first helpful thing to establish here, is which setup from the above two, are you using and which device is the Boost cabled to? Note too, that the Boost must be set at least one metre away from the device it’s wired to and any other Wireless access point.

If you can post back a little more detail, either I or someone else in the community can maybe offer you some things to try.

Ah that's interesting, I can certainly change the Eero to Bridge mode but I can't find a way to access my modem settings to turn WiFi off. I can ask my ISP about that. 

The boost is cabled into the first Eero which is cabled into the modem. It's definitely not a metre away so I'll change that firstly.…

The Boost is a new addition to the system to see if it could get around the problem, I thought if I could get them to connect via Sonos Net then it might get around it

@Timbo90,

If your ISP modem/router is correctly bridged and you’ve wired the Eero Primary Hub to that and then wired your Boost, either directly to the Eero Primary Hub, or indirectly, to a network switch off that Hub, then that all sounds fine to me. (Note: do not opt to wire a Sonos product to any of your Eero satellite Hubs).

Ideally you just need to perhaps quickly double-check that the WiFi adapters are not enabled on your ISP Modem/Bridged Router and that it is bridged and acting in a ‘similar’ way to a modem. 

Also keep the Sonos Boost a metre, or so away, from the Primary Eero Hub, or any other wireless devices.

With your mobile connected to the Eero WiFi network, I can’t see any reason then, why your Sonos system will not work, or allow you to setup new devices etc. I’ve seen other users in the community here successfully using the Eero mesh system with Sonos in that way …and also with the Eero Hubs ‘bridged’ themselves and acting as mere wireless access points to an unchanged ISP provided router operating in router mode, but with the WiFi adapters switched off.