Answered

ERA 300

• 9 December 2023
  • 12 replies

How do I connect an Astell & Kern SP2000T to the ERA 300 and get high res sound ?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 December 2023, 23:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

You need to use a Sonos line-in audio adapter with the Era-300. Maybe start with this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-line-in-on-sonos

Note that the Sonos products support up-to 24-bit/48kHz HiRes audio

There are two types of adapter available. See here:

Many thanks that’s very helpful. I assume that means it can’t process anything above 48KHz ? I’ll also need to find out which cable(s) are needed.

Many thanks that’s very helpful. I assume that means it can’t process anything above 48KHz ? I’ll also need to find out which cable(s) are needed.

Yes, that’s the case and I think a 3.5mm (male) to 3.5mm (male) stereo audio cable will be what you need to connect your players output to the Sonos audio adapter.

That’s really helpful Ken, many thanks indeed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I probably wouldn’t notice the difference, but you do know that when connecting your player like this the analogue signal is sent from your Astra & Kern to Sonos and is converted to digital again to Sonos’s standards?

converted to digital again to Sonos’s standards?

In other words 16/44.1 Red Book. 

Some would view it as a bit of a shame given that A&K (with a built-in tube amp?!) evidently retails around £2k.

Slightly different question - assuming I’m not going to connect the SP2000T what equipment do you need to get the best from the ERA 300 speaker ? If you input 24 bit 92 KHz it knocked it back down to 49 KHz ? Not that I suppose I would hear the difference.

If you input 24 bit 92 KHz it knocked it back down to 49 KHz ? 

I take it you mean 192kHz and 48kHz. 

Sonos won’t ‘knock’ anything. It will simply refuse to play 192kHz content, and anything else above 48kHz.

Yes, thanks, that’s what I meant. 

Slightly different question - assuming I’m not going to connect the SP2000T what equipment do you need to get the best from the ERA 300 speaker ? If you input 24 bit 92 KHz it knocked it back down to 49 KHz ? Not that I suppose I would hear the difference.

Personally speaking, I would not choose to use the Era-300 line-in and just use the local internet connection (wireless, or perhaps wired using the Sonos network adapter) and stream Amazon Music HD/UltraHD from the Sonos built-in services instead, which will play Atmos and stereo audio tracks up-to 24-bit/48kHz …and there’s plenty of tracks to choose from.

Or, if one’s determined to play one’s own music, convert it in bulk to 24bit 48kHz FLAC and pop it on a network share. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

All my CDs are ripped to FLAC and on a local NAS.

Came in handy when the Century Link installers back-hoe’d the neighborhood’s main Cox Cable box the other night.