Skip to main content

Since the new app was introduced, my pair of Era 100 will not stay in sync. The delay from one speaker to the other keeps increasing. After setup, withing a day when I turn them back on there is an “echo” due to delays. Within a couple of days they get even further apart in timing to where it is totally unlistenable.

If I reset my router, this most often seems to fix the problem, but I don’t want to have to do a twice daily reboot of my router, nor was this necessary at all before the Sonos update to the new system.

If I try to remove the stereo pair and then recreate the pair, then only one speaker will have sound in the pair.

So I end up power cycling the speakers, rebooting my router, have issues with the speakers being found, then finally put them back into a stereo pair, but this is crazy. I have wasted so much time on trying to get these speakers to stay working as a stereo pair. None of the updates have made it any better.

I have tried giving the speakers a fixed IP address assignment based on their MAC, but this didn’t help at all.

As individual speakers they work fine, but that isn’t why I bought a pair of speakers.

Hello. 

All the same for me, also stereo. 

I waiting software solution 

(iOS- use 2x ERA 100 from septembre 2024)

Hi @joeser 

Welcome back to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of this sync issue you are having with your pair of Era 100s - it does sound annoying!

While playing, and while the speakers are out-of-sync, please submit a support diagnostic and reply here when done, but please do not share the number given - I’ll be happy to take a look and see what I can see. After submitting, feel free to do what you need to do to get it behaving again.

Hi @Polologt 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please do the same, thank you.

I submitted a support diagnostic. As usual within 1 day of setting up the stereo pair the echo effect was back.

Let me know if you need anything more.

Hi @joeser 

Thanks for that! Could you please tell me what you can about your router and Internet Service Provider? 

Also, how far apart are the speakers physically?

Hello

I have two ERA 100 used in the same room, in stereo.
The distance between the two ERA 100 is 5m.
The distance between each ERA 100 and the router is 3m and 5m.
The problem I'm encountering: the ERA 100 on the right of the stereo pair cuts out for 10-15 seconds, then reconnects. 
Yet it's the one closest to the router. 

The problem occurs under the following 4 conditions: 
When listening to music files on my iPhone.
Streaming via a RADIO application.
When using the SONOS application with Spotify.
When listening to Spotify self in Airplay.

There is no time cycle, it happens randomly.

I've redone my entire configuration. 
First time configured the right one first, then left, then stereo. 
Second time I set up the left one first, then right, then stereo.

The two ERAs  : First is dated late August. Amazing sound. Then a second for stereo early September 2024.

Bests regards

Laurent

Hi @Polologt 

Thanks for that information. Could you also recreate this issue and then submit a support diagnostic, letting me know here when you have done so? Please also include details of your router. Thanks.

In my case the router is a T3200M supplied by my ISP Telus. I am on their fiber network.

The speakers are about 6 feet apart, each side of a bed.

In case it matters, I am talking about listening to Sonos radio stations, I haven’t yet tried if other sources have the same problem.

Hello 

this evening, every track, no sound on right speaker every 30 sec, during 15 sec. 
streaming from Spotify. 

This my support number *********

I’m living in Belgium, my internet Provider is VOO and The router is a « Technicolor CGA4233-EU »

My download is all The Time around 200mbps in wifi (tested up to 6 meters), same Mbps with RJ 45

Bests regards

Moderator edit: diagnostic number recorded and removed

This evening a update is arrived in my two Era 100. 

After the update, I try to restart the setup from scratch and inverted physically the two speaker.
The two speaker are now in stereo again.
… And The problem is the same, the right speaker no lounger produces sound after a wile, then sound came back.

So, it’s a software gestion of the right side, (It reassures me that it is not a hardware problem).
It doesn't matter which of the two speakers is configured on the right.

please fixes this. 

Hello.

The right ERA 100 of the stereo pair disconnects. I tried by electrically disconnecting both and reconnecting only the right one.

I go in app SONOS to see my « right » ERA , I see this : "this speaker is not part of the stereo pair. Separate the Stereo pair". (screenshot here, in French).

if i reconnect the electricity, right ERA reconnects to the network and appears in the stereo pair, produce music for a few seconds,  Today it is hell.

With my tests, I am convinced that the problem is software, but please, do something.

Hi @Polologt 

Thanks for all that information, but am I right in understanding that your stereo-paired speakers are not going out of sync with each other? That one is just cutting out instead? If this is the case, then you are off-topic for this particular thread.

I took a look at your diagnostics anyway, but as there is a speaker missing from them, I can’t determine much. In addition, it looks like you have reset your entire system since their submission, so the diagnostics are no longer relevant anyway.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - I hope they are able to assist.

Hi @joeser 

In my case the router is a T3200M supplied by my ISP Telus. I am on their fiber network.

The speakers are about 6 feet apart, each side of a bed.

In case it matters, I am talking about listening to Sonos radio stations, I haven’t yet tried if other sources have the same problem.

Thanks for that additional info. Could you please try some other sources? I doubt it will make any difference, but it’s just so we know one way or another. Thanks.

This evening, I reset up the stereo pair, which worked fine with Sonus radio, but immediately when I did a bluetooth connection using the right speaker, only the right speaker was playing sound.

I tried line in on the right speaker, sound only came from the right speaker.

I went back to Sonos radio, sound would only come from the left speaker.

I tried Spotify, sound would only come from the left speaker.

So I removed the stereo pair, and tried reconnecting the stereo pair. Sound only came from the left speaker still with Sonos radio/ startup sound for stereo pairing.

I rebooted my router, then all sources worked for stereo sound again with no sync issues. (Sonus radio, Spotify, bluetooth, line-in: all good)

I will let you know in the morning how the sync drift is working, but I wanted to type this problem while the memory was fresh.

OK, I tried to use different sources to check the sync drift, but once Sonos radio is showing the echo, when I try to use other sources it “breaks” the stereo pair like my post above.

Different sources come out of only one or the other speaker, even when I go back to Sonos radio, there is no more stereo sound even though the Sonos app still thinks there is a stereo pair.

Touch on/off control and the volume slide still works using either speaker.

I think I find for me the solution : gone in setup of my router, and split 2,4 & 5 Ghz Wifi. 

no problem of synchro from around 24h ! 
whouaw ! 

Hi @joeser 

Thanks for performing those tests.

I’m starting to think that there might be a speaker at fault now, but the only way of ascertaining whether that is the case or not is with some in-depth troubleshooting. 

There are some things that can be tried, but I’d rather see you do them while on a call so that you don’t have to repeat them again in order to prove anything later - at this point, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports at each stage. I advise informing the agent you speak to of this thread, so you don’t to repeat too much. The following search in Google will take them right here: “era 100 stereo pair sync”.

I hope they are able to help.

Hi @Polologt 

That’s great to hear - thanks for updating the thread!

Also a bit confusing, as that shouldn’t make the slightest bit of difference! Worth trying, however, @joeser - split the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands in the router’s settings so they don’t have the same name. This will force the speakers on to the band for which they know the credentials. I should point out that in your diagnostics, both speakers were on 5GHz, so I am not convinced, but if it worked for @Polologt, then I guess it’s worth a try.

It took me a while to find where 2.4/5G splitting could be done, on my modem/router it was under “SmartSteering”.

I will try again with the 5G network and see if this fixes anything.

I also turned off “WMM Power Save” since power consumption isn’t a worry for any wireless devices I am using just in case the “dozing” could be causing any issues.

If these two changes don’t fix things I will give tech support a call.

I am not that hopeful as everything used to work with the older Sonos system software/firmware, but who knows.

Still working here. Youhou !!! 

With sonos app or Spotify, playing my own music from iPhone, my wife selecting from her iPhone, pause, local Radio, everything ok.
OMG  they’re working for what they are made for.

I hope this working for you.

So, 2,4Ghz & 5 are activated and have different SSID  names. « Wifi-###-2.4 » & « Wifi-###-5. 
then Sonos app ask for an update of network settings. 

The separated 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands didn’t help, speakers are back to an echo chamber this morning.

I am giving support a call to see what they are able to do.

To bad. 
I Hope they will help you. 

So support added the step of rebooting the ERA100s after rebooting the router and this so far keeps the echo effect from reappearing for the last few days. I can’t be sure if the split of 2.4 and 5 Ghz router bands also was part of the solution, and a reboot of the speakers was the missing bit to fix the issue.

But… I still have another issue that when I switch my source away from Sonos radio (Spotify/Bluetooth/Line-in): the stereo pair “breaks” and sound only comes from one speaker once I do a source switch (even if I go back to Sonos radio). But that can be a topic for another thread

Hi @joeser 

That is not at all what we want happening, and it is not entirely off-topic for this thread!

Could you please recreate this behaviour and submit a support diagnostic - I can’t be sure that I will have an answer for you, but it’s definitely something I’d like to check out for you. Thanks.

OK, I posted a diagnostic after switching inputs to line-in and only one speaker working.

As a test I tried line-in and bluetooth connection to both speakers, and the speaker which had the connection would be the one with sound output, but Sonos radio and Spotify always came out the same speaker. I am pretty sure the speaker that put out sound with Sonos radio and Spotify was the original speaker (the one which was selected first when setting up the stereo pair, then the other non-sound speaker was the one that was added).

When I turn off the speakers once sound is only from one speaker, the speaker that wasn’t producing sound blinks the LED white slowly about 8 times, then orange quickly about 5 times. The speaker with the sound doesn’t do any blinking of the LED.

Hi @joeser 

Thanks for the diagnostics. We are seeing some log entries pertaining to input buffers that we should not be seeing. As a result, I have something I’d like to try doing.

Please separate the stereo pair of speakers in the app, assigning the extra speaker to a temporary room when asked. Please then physically swap the speakers over, so the speaker that used to be the left speaker will now be the right, and vice versa. Pair the speakers back together afterwards. Settings icon » nrelevant room] » Remove Stereo Pair. Settings icon » srelevant room] » Set Up Stereo Pair. 

In addition, we can see that there are two devices transmitting WiFi. To simplify matters, please remove the WiFi credentials for the “********LR” signal from your Sonos system (leaving the credentials that are the same but without “LR” at the end). Settings icon » Manage » Network » Manage Networks » tap the remove button (circle with line through it) for the stated network.

Once done, please test with music initiated from within the Sonos app, as well as by Bluetooth, Line In or AirPlay (whichever ones you use) and let me know how you get on. If there are still issues, please submit a support diagnostic afterwards once more. Thank you.

Additionally - if there are still issues - could you please describe your network topology in full? Thanks.

I hope this helps.