Answered

Ding Dong

• 27 March 2023
  • 3 replies

My Sonos One is sat there making a frigging annoying ding dong noise. I’ve taken a video but this support site won’t allow videos and you click the chat link on the support page and that doesn’t work either.

Please help it was a present from my girlfriend and she’ll be upset when I put an axe through this thing.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 March 2023, 11:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidHomer 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We don’t recommend the use of real names in a public space on the internet - if you’d like to change it, please PM me an alternative username and I’ll change it for you.

As for the issue, I presume you have tried rebooting the speaker by removing power for a time? If not please do so.

If that doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports. If it turns out there’s a fault with the touch-sensitive sensors on the top, I’m sure we could arrange a replacement for you. Sorry to hear you had trouble with the chat link - please try a phone call, if you can do so during the time the lines are open.

If you have trouble getting in touch, please try a factory reset, though please be aware that as this is your only Sonos speaker, doing so with erase all Sonos playlists and favourites, as well as linked accounts, from your speaker permanently. I recommend you also reset the Sonos app to ease setup after the speaker reset - you’ll need to Create a New System.

I hope this helps.

Hello,

We don’t recommend the use of real names in a public space on the internet

Sounds worrying - if there’s a security risk on your forum I’ll delete my account when I’ve got an answer on this.

This is the sound the speaker was making, lots of people are complaining about Sonos speakers making noises for no reason going back years but I can’t find any response from Sonos as to what it means - if it’s going to go off in the middle of the night then it’s no use to me.

https://tmpfiles.org/dl/1209895/dingdong.mp3

While the sound was going off no messages, warnings or issues were reported in the Sonos app.

I just want to know what this particular sound means and why it’s not reported in the app. If Sonos doesn’t know then just say so and I’ll be sending it back for a refund later today and I’ll buy a different brand.

UPDATE: The Sonos was playing music in the middle of the night and ignored the sleep timer I’d set in the Sonos app, it also wouldn’t respond to any voice commands so it’s currently unplugged as it can’t be trusted.

Thanks,

Dave

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidHomer 

There’s no greater security risk here than there is in any other public, online space - we just don’t recommend the use of your full name as a matter of course.

One common cause for such errant notifications is cats - with touch sensitive controls on the speakers, a wayward fluffy tail can trigger the sensors. The touch-sensitive controls can be disabled in the app Settings » System » [room name] » Touch Controls.

If this doesn’t help or apply, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team as the events will be recorded in the speaker’s logs. If the sensors turn out to have a fault, we will replace the unit for you. Please recreate the issue before getting in touch and submit a support diagnostic, however, as the logs are cleared when you remove power from the device.

The logs will also indicate what went wrong with the sleep timer - if you can recreate the issue after reapplying power.

I hope this helps.