Skip to main content

I have spent A LOT of money on this system and for some reason after adding the Sonos Five to my system I have constant drops. Before I am accused of using a weak WiFi system or having interference issues I should point out I have a 1GB/S WiFi system that consistently logs in at 250MBS on a speed test for WiFi and when I get my drops there is literally nothing else in the house that is on the system accept my Nest cameras.  My problem is that I am always getting knocked off the WiFi system even thougn there are some speakers (my oldest) that stay connected. I have rebooted my VERY expensive router a dozen times, turned off all my speakers then reconnected. I can be listening to music on Spotify and simply skip a song on a playlist and when I do that all the speakers drop except my playbar in the back room, furthest from the router! I am hoping someone has a solution for this or I am going to scrap the entire system and move to some other solution, this system is way to glitchy and inconsistent. 

Just out of interest, if all speakers are on Wi-Fi, what does signal to noise ratio (SNR) look like for the dropping speakers:

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app 

“Go to the 

1. Settings menu and select the name of one of your rooms.
  2. Select the name of one of the products within that room.
  3. Under the Status section, select Network to see the network details for that product.

“The Signal to Noise Ratio. This is a measure of the quality of the signal strength between the product and router and is expressed in decibels. A higher value represents a stronger signal. As a general guideline, a SNR of 45 dB and above is considered excellent, while a SNR of 25 dB or below is considered weak.”

@ArchiLOGIX 
Are any of your speakers wired by Ethernet…?

No, they are all connected through my WiFi system.

In response to kpr, I have checked when things are bad and the connection always states “strong connection” for all the speakers. It is interesting to me, and not sure if this is revealing, but the one speaker that never drops is the soundbar attached to one of my tv’s, this is the oldest Sonos device I have on the system. 

In response to kpr, I have checked when things are bad and the connection always states “strong connection” for all the speakers. It is interesting to me, and not sure if this is revealing, but the one speaker that never drops is the soundbar attached to one of my tv’s, this is the oldest Sonos device I have on the system. 

Thank you for the info. So that SNR can’t be used as any indication of the issues. 

Might be best to take diagnostics when all is working ok and then when the situation happens  and try to get e.g. CorryP here or Sonos support to take a look if those reveal any clear reason.

There’s discussion in this thread about (grouped) speakers suffering with some content and diagnostics revealing something. 

I have a bit more information that may be related to the grouped speakers. Since I was having the problem with all other WiFi devices shut down in the house it occurred to me that the problem was that Sonos devices were conflicting with each other. I decided to remove devices one at a time and see what happened. I decided to remove the paired Play:1 speakers first and lo and behold, no more conflicts. This is pretty frustrating that Sonos can’t develop products that don’t create conflicts with their own devices!! I guess the question now is; do I need to purchase current generation speakers to avoid device conflicts or am I just going to have the same issue after spending $$$ more?