Connection drop out

• 18 February 2024
  • 9 replies

I have a Play 1 and 3 in my lounge/kitchen that have worked brilliantly for a number of years. However over the last 2/3 months the connections repeatedly drop in and out and occasionally nothing! I also have a Roam and a newer Play 1 which are working ok. 

is it a case of the software not working with older hardware? Is there anything I can do?

9 replies

Could be a duplicate IP address issue. Try unplugging / powering down all Sonos devices, then reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to come back up, then plug back in / power up your Sonos devices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If the IP setting doesn’t help wait for the problem again and submit a diagnostic.

Copy the number shown and call Sonos support to have them look at your internal data.a

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Watco,

I decided to respond to your post, rather than start a new topic, since, I have been suffering similar problems for some months now on one of my Play:3’s.

Sonos Lvl 2 European support have finally told me after extensive investigation that  “the amount of memory on the play 3 in question have deteriorated over time and is now at a point where it is having issues.”  The only resolution offered is to use the 30% upgrade programme discount and buy new units.

Frankly, I have never heard of memory deteriorating in this way and am somewhat sceptical.  Has anyone else come across a similar phenomenon with Sonos units that are effectively now deemed only fit for the scrap heap?

My units are just over 10 years old, which is quite aged in computer terms, but not for stereo components.  I suggested downgrading back to the S1 App in order to try to reduce the memory demands on the Play:3’s, but supposedly this is not an option.

Interested to hear of any similar experiences.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can search the Internet and find many articles on write endurance of flash memory. The first generation had endurances in the low 100s, Sonos memory does far better than that even in the very old Play 3 (I have two) and far better in modern products.

Sadly Sonos has locked us out of the internals so we can’t actually look at our flash chips and see how they are doing, just have to take the tech looking at our diagnostics word for it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Stanley,

Thanks for the explanation.  I’d never really considered the memory inside a Sonos unit, nor its lifespan.  Got to say that I am a bit disappointed that the product is now worthless and cannot be repaired in any way.  It’s bad enough that I effectively have to replace my pc every 10 years (usually to stay current on software releases rather than for hardware reasons) without having to do the same for a music system.  But then I guess that’s just the way of the world!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Remember you are dealing with very old Sonos gear, the internal memory was sate of the art when shipped.

I’d submit a diagnostic to Sonos and call them with the number and discuss the memory issues AND ask about getting a discount for replacing them, maybe with better sounding Era 100s or something better sounding.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If I’d known up-front that 10 years was the expected lifespan, I might well have thought twice about it.

Unfortunately, I have given Sonos tons of diagnostics over many months and it was only latterly that they finally came up with this diagnosis.  All they are offering is the standard upgrade discount (30%) and on that basis I am disinclined to invest in more Sonos kit.  Easier all round to re-deploy some little used units and run on a reduced capability basis for the time being.

Thanks for your input.

It's possible that the older Play 1 and 3 may be experiencing compatibility issues with newer software updates. Try checking for firmware updates for your devices and ensuring they're running the latest version. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I am not aware that individual Sonos units have firmware updates that can be applied. I am running the S2 Controller and have been happily doing so for some time. I invariably apply Sonos updates when notified and so am bang up to date on Controller software, so not sure what else there is to update. 

My problem sounds much more like the numerous Connect Amp problems reported a couple of months back (see here), i.e. newer software releases are too memory intensive for older devices, so tough luck, scrap ‘em and buy new ones!