Skip to main content

I have a very complete sonos system, which consists of an Arc sound bar, a subwoofer and two One speakers for the TV room and a Sonos Move speaker. It has worked very well for a long time, but since I installed an Asus Wifi 6 Mesh system, only Sonos has problems. Everything works perfectly except Sonos. I have to turn off the router every week to get it to work again and it is a real desperation since it coincides with when I feel like watching TV relaxing when I get home. I turn off the router, wait five minutes for the Internet to pick up, and my five Mesh nodes to dock, and everything works again for another week. I have been complaining about this problem for a long time and there is no solution. I won't buy another Sonos product until this is fixed.

Hi @Ignacio Ortiz de Zúñiga and welcome to the Sonos Community!

Apologies for the delayed reply and I’m sorry to hear of the issues affecting your Sonos system. The fact that the issues only appeared following the introduction of a new router / mesh system gives me hope that perhaps a setting relating to the Asus system can be adjusted to resolve this.

For instance if your mesh system is an Asus RT or AX series, we have seen instances where there are parental control settings on by default which affect Sonos’ ability to communicate on the network. You can try the following steps if this is the case:

1. Open a web browser, enter the URL: http://asusrouter.com.
  2. On the login page, enter the router's admin username and password.
  3. From the left side menu bar, click on Parental Controls > Time Scheduling.
  4. Turn off "Enable Block All Devices"

You may need to reboot your Sonos products after following the above. Please let us know how you get on.

No filters on my Asus router

Thank you for checking this. Would you mind replying here with the model number of your Asus router / mesh system? Also could you please provide a few more details on the specific issues you are experiencing, for instance are the issues related to music playback, missing rooms on the App, inability for the App to find the system etc? It would also be great if you could submit a diagnostic report from the Sonos App, no need to reply here with the number as I’ll find it under your account.

ASUS ZENWIFI XD6 . firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_23773 

Also could you please provide a few more details on the specific issues you are experiencing,

Nor the Android App or Alexa recognizes any device. They simply do not exist. I can reconnect them pushing the reset button, but its easier to reset the router.

Moderation note: edited to remove detailed information regarding customer’s Sonos system

Hi Ignacio, thanks for the information provided. For the model of router you mentioned, there is one more setting called ‘Airtime Fairness’ which we would suggest disabling as it has been known in some cases to cause connection issues with our products:

1. Log into the ASUS router.

2. Under Advanced Settings, click Wireless.

3. Click the Professional tab.

4. Disable Airtime Fairness and click Apply.

5. Change the Frequency to 5GHz.

6. Disable Airtime Fairness and click Apply.

If this does not help then the best course of action would be to reach out to our technical support for some live troubleshooting, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Already at 5 Ghz band and Airtime Fariness disabled.

:-(

If this does not help then the best course of action would be to reach out to our technical support for some live troubleshooting, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I thought I was doing exactly that. I throw in the towel

Already at 5 Ghz band and Airtime Fariness disabled.

:-(

Because the Arc uses its own 5ghz wifi to bond to the sub and surrounds, I ensure the Arc uses 2.4ghz wifi to avoid any conflict between my home’s 5ghz wifi and the home theatre’s 5ghz wifi. I wonder if it is worth adjusting that in your mesh to ensure the mesh node the Arc connects to is using 2.4ghz (plenty fast and reliable enough for a Sonos speaker).

It might also be worth trying to connect your other non-home-theatre Sonos speaker(s) to 2.4ghz wifi in case that provides some joy.

In addition, I have a mesh network which works with my Sonos speakers. It’s personal preference but I use the mesh in Access Point mode, with the ISP’s router doing all the DHCP/IP address handling. The wifi is OFF on the router and ON for the mesh, so the mesh is the only thing conveying the home wifi signal. 

It might be worth you assigning fixed IP addresses to all your Sonos speakers (in the router settings, or the mesh settings if you are using the mesh in router mode) to see if that helps with stability. 

(This is a public forum, not the Sonos support helpdesk.)

This is a user community forum. Whilst it’s monitored by Sonos staff, there are support staff with many more tools at their disposal to help diagnose user problems. Why not contact them before you throw in the towel?

Since the issue recurs weekly, I wonder if it may be an ip address issue? Try setting fixed ip addresses for your Sonos devices and see if that makes a difference. 

Last move:

• Sonos ARC wired MAC and IP Address Binding
  • Sonos ONE, SL and SUB MAC and IP Address Binding and forced connection to same Mesh device
  • Sonos MOVE MAC and IP Address Binding

Finger crossed